Hello guys,I'm working on a machine now and it's called DFIG

In summary, the conversation discusses the operation of a Doubly-fed Induction Generator (DFIG) connected to a power converter on the rotor. The question is how the generator is able to maintain induction on the stator while taking power out of the rotor in supersynchronous state. The conversation suggests sources for further explanation, including a paper by S. Müller et al. and a study by John Fletcher and Jin Yang from the University of Strathclyde.
Truthlover
Hello guys,

I'm working on a machine now and it's called DFIG (Doubly-fed Induction Generator). It is connected to a power converter on the rotor only. My question is: how are you able in supersynchronous state to have a induction on the rotor.

I know that you have an excitation current on the rotor to have an induction on the stator when you're in sub-synchronous state. So in supersynchronous how are you able to keep the induction on the stator while you're taking power out of the rotor.

Don't know if it's clear for you and sorry for my bad english.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is DFIG?

DFIG stands for Doubly Fed Induction Generator. It is an electrical machine that is commonly used in wind turbines to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

2. How does DFIG work?

DFIG works by using both rotor and stator windings to create a rotating magnetic field. The rotor winding is connected to the grid through a power converter, allowing for control of the generator's speed and power output.

3. What are the advantages of using DFIG?

One advantage of DFIG is its ability to vary its speed and power output, making it well-suited for use in wind turbines. It also has a simpler and more cost-effective design compared to other types of generators.

4. Are there any limitations to using DFIG?

One limitation of DFIG is that it requires a power converter, which can add complexity and cost to the overall system. It also has a limited ability to generate power during low wind speeds.

5. How is DFIG different from other types of generators?

Unlike other generators, DFIG has a partially wound rotor, allowing for variable speed operation. It also has a lower rotor current and lower slip, resulting in improved efficiency and reduced wear on the machine.