Build Parallel Basic Circuits with Affordable Capacitors | Learn How Here!"

In summary, the conversation is about building parallel basic circuits with parallel capacitors and finding inexpensive capacitor models to practice with. The speaker also mentions the importance of considering a capacitor's voltage, polarity, and capacitance when selecting one.
caljuice
Sorry this might be kind of vague. So I want to learn how to build parallel basic circuits with parallel capacitors. I was unable to build it properly during my lab. Basically I'm going to get alligator wires and clamp them to a battery and the capacitors. Looking online at some online electronic store, there's a gazillion capacitors. Is there any cheap specific name/models of parallel capacitor I should get just to learn how to get a simple circuit going.

Engineering news on Phys.org
"Parallel" refers to the position where a capacitor is in a circuit, it's not a property of a capacitor in itself.

When specifying a capacitor, the three most important basic properties is how high of a voltage you can put on it, if it's bipolar or not, and what the capacitance is.

1. What is the difference between a ceramic and electrolytic capacitor?

Ceramic capacitors are made of ceramic materials and are commonly used for their stability, small size, and low cost. They have a smaller capacitance range and a lower maximum voltage rating compared to electrolytic capacitors. Electrolytic capacitors, on the other hand, have a higher capacitance range and maximum voltage rating but can be less stable and more expensive.

2. How do I determine the capacitance value of a capacitor?

The capacitance value of a capacitor is determined by the area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. The higher the area and the smaller the distance, the higher the capacitance value. The type of dielectric material also affects the capacitance value as different materials have different dielectric constants.

3. Can I use a higher voltage rated capacitor than what is specified in the circuit?

No, it is not recommended to use a higher voltage rated capacitor in a circuit. Doing so can lead to capacitor failure and potential damage to the circuit. It is best to use a capacitor with the same or higher voltage rating as specified in the circuit.

4. What is the temperature coefficient of a capacitor?

The temperature coefficient of a capacitor is a measure of how the capacitance changes with temperature. It is usually expressed in parts per million (ppm) per degree Celsius. A positive temperature coefficient means that the capacitance increases with temperature, while a negative temperature coefficient means that the capacitance decreases with temperature.

5. Can I connect capacitors in series or parallel to increase the capacitance?

Yes, capacitors can be connected in series or parallel to increase the overall capacitance. When connected in series, the total capacitance is lower than that of any individual capacitor. When connected in parallel, the total capacitance is the sum of the individual capacitor values. It is important to note that the voltage rating and tolerance of the capacitors must also be taken into account when connecting them in series or parallel.