How Does Initial Bullet Speed Relate to Conservation of Energy and Momentum?

In summary, the initial speed of the bullet was not explicitly mentioned but can be calculated using the final height and the mass of the bullet and wooden block. For the second conversation, the maximum kinetic energy of the object can be determined using the equation of motion and an energy approach, and is not dependent on the amplitude. The equation for maximum kinetic energy is dK/dt = 0, and the equation of motion is F = mg - Kx = ma. The correct equation for finding the maximum kinetic energy is given by substituting x=mg/k in the equation mg(A-x) + (1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)kA^2.
hauthuong
A bullet of mass 0.0021 kg is shot into a wooden block of mass 0.197 kg.

They rise to a final height of 0.546 m as shown. What was the initial speed (in m/s) of the bullet before it hit the block?

I figured out this one
I got another one
A 5.0 kg ball is attached to a vertical unstretched spring with k = 762 N/m and then released. What distance does the ball fall just as it momentarily comes to rest?
I use F=-kx with F=mg therefore mg=-kx from there I solve for x but I got the wrong answer. What am I wrong. Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hauthuong said:
A 5.0 kg ball is attached to a vertical unstretched spring with k = 762 N/m and then released. What distance does the ball fall just as it momentarily comes to rest?
I use F=-kx with F=mg therefore mg=-kx from there I solve for x but I got the wrong answer. What am I wrong. Thank you
Think of it as a conversion of gravitational potential energy into spring potential energy and ball kinetic energy, as the ball falls.
[tex]mgx = \frac{1}{2}(kx^2 + mv^2)[/tex]

Since maximum displacement occurs when v=0,
[tex]mgx = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

[tex]x = 2mg/k[/tex]

AM

thank you
A 1.72 kg object is suspended from a spring with k = 19.1 N/m. The mass is pulled 0.305 m downward from its equilibrium position and allowed to oscillate. What is the maximum kinentic energy of the object in J?
1/2 kx^2=1/2 mv^2
and I got it wrong too

Try to use 1/2 kx^2=1/2 mv^2+mgl, l - heigt
Because when the mass oscillates, it's potential energy changes

hauthuong said:
thank you
A 1.72 kg object is suspended from a spring with k = 19.1 N/m. The mass is pulled 0.305 m downward from its equilibrium position and allowed to oscillate. What is the maximum kinentic energy of the object in J?
1/2 kx^2=1/2 mv^2
and I got it wrong too
The condition for maximum kinetic energy is dK/dt = 0 (when the rate of change of kinetic energy = 0). Since [itex]K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}m(dx/dt)^2[/itex] the maximum kinetic energy occurs when [itex]d^2x/dt^2 = 0[/itex] (ie. when a = 0).

The equation of motion is:
[tex]F = mg-Kx = ma[/tex] where x = the displacement from equilibrium

So when a=0
[tex]kx=mg[/tex]
[tex]x=mg/k[/tex]

Note that it is independent of the maximum amplitude. To find the speed when x=mg/k, use an energy approach:
[tex]U_g + KE + U_k = U_{ki}[/tex]
[tex]mg(A-x) + \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2 = \frac{1}{2}kA^2[/tex]

AM

Last edited:
I'm afraid, that I didn't understand all correctly, but the question is "What is the maximum kinentic energy of the object in J?", isn't it?
I think You are right speaking about condition for maximum kinetic energy, however it depends on amplitude x.

1/2 kx^2=1/2 mv^2+mgx (conversion of energy)

1/2 mv^2=x(kx/2-mg)

Yegor said:
I'm afraid, that I didn't understand all correctly, but the question is "What is the maximum kinentic energy of the object in J?", isn't it?
I think You are right speaking about condition for maximum kinetic energy, however it depends on amplitude x.

1/2 kx^2=1/2 mv^2+mgx (conversion of energy)

1/2 mv^2=x(kx/2-mg)
see my edited reply above.

AM

But i have
mgx+(1/2)mv^2=(1/2)k(A-x)^2,
where A=(mg/k+x)
What do You think?

Yegor said:
But i have
mgx+(1/2)mv^2=(1/2)k(A-x)^2,
where A=(mg/k+x)
What do You think?
A= initial amplitude.
Try:
[tex]mg(A-x) + \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2 = \frac{1}{2}kA^2 [/tex]

substituting x=mg/k:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}kA^2 - mg(A - mg/k) - \frac{1}{2}m^2g^2/k[/tex]

[tex]v^2 = KA^2/m - 2gA + mg^2/k[/tex]
[tex]v = \sqrt{KA^2/m - 2gA + mg^2/k}[/tex]

AM

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the momentum of a bullet?

The formula for calculating the momentum of a bullet is p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass of the bullet, and v is the velocity of the bullet.

2. How does the mass of a bullet affect its speed?

The mass of a bullet does not directly affect its speed. However, a heavier bullet will retain its velocity better when encountering resistance, such as air resistance or impact with a target.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of a bullet and its kinetic energy?

The kinetic energy of a bullet is directly proportional to its mass. This means that an increase in the mass of a bullet will result in an increase in its kinetic energy, assuming all other factors (such as velocity) remain constant.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a bullet?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a bullet by slowing it down and altering its flight path. This is why bullets are designed to be aerodynamic, to minimize the effects of air resistance on their trajectory.

5. Can a bullet of any mass reach the same speed as a bullet of a different mass?

Yes, a bullet of any mass can reach the same speed as a bullet of a different mass if they have the same amount of kinetic energy. However, a heavier bullet will require more force to reach the same speed as a lighter bullet due to its greater inertia.