Affecting Earth's Magnetic Field?

In summary: The Earths field is not generated like a bar magnet.In a nutshell - it is formed from the movement of molten iron in the outer core.
oem7110
Referring to following link, I would like to know what kind of radial fields from Sun affects on Earth's Magnet field, is there any website offering record of this activity?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lPLjnqS8UeY

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to look up "Van Allen Belts"

The Sun emits a lot of radiation - light, for example ... this includes infrared all through UV to X-rays and gamma rays. Also the Sun spits out matter - the "cosmic wind". So you'd get a shorter answer asking what the Sun does not throw at us ... which is basically rocks: the Sun does not throw rocks at us.

There are lots of places to get a record of solar activity - as you can imagine, it's a lot of data. There are also digests... there is a good place to start here:
http://www.windows2universe.org/sun/activity/sunspot_history.html

Notice the 11 year cycle they are talking about (the size gets bigger because detection has got better - back in the 1600's there were only small optical telescopes, now we have spacecraft watching everything)? There's also a longer period of fluctuations that looks like beats in sound - that's why you don't remember a blackout 10 years ago: the peak activity was weaker then.

When you know what you want you can start looking for academic sources.

Simon Bridge said:
You want to look up "Van Allen Belts"

Notice the 11 year cycle they are talking about (the size gets bigger because detection has got better - back in the 1600's there were only small optical telescopes, now we have spacecraft watching everything)? There's also a longer period of fluctuations that looks like beats in sound - that's why you don't remember a blackout 10 years ago: the peak activity was weaker then.

When you know what you want you can start looking for academic sources.

"The Sun gives off more radiation than usual during solar max, and this extra energy changes the uppermost layers of Earth's atmosphere."

Does anyone have any suggestions on how the uppermost layers of Earth's atmosphere change with this extra energy?

Thanks you very much for any suggestions

Did you look at the references supplied? Did you look up van allen belts?

These questions are extremely general - what is it all in aid of?

In general - you get more ionized gasses in the upper atmosphere - this is what plays havoc with radio signals. You also get more cosmic rays. More of everything. One of the effects is more aurora.

I think thatthere is periodic solar storm that consists of high velocity charged particles. Since there is large amount of them which would generate incredible magnetic field moving through. Thus it might vary the Earth's magnetic field.

ZealScience said:
I think that there is periodic solar storm that consists of high velocity charged particles.
Well, in fact, you know this is the case.
Since there is large amount of them which would generate incredible magnetic field moving through. Thus it might vary the Earth's magnetic field.
Again - we know that this is the case. That Windows to the Universe site shows you the proof.

Geomagnetic storms are not a matter of belief, this is not a religion relying on faith, that needs this sort of statement of belief.

If you ever find someone who does not believe in GMS's, they are wrong, and you can prove it within 11 years.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
Well, in fact, you know this is the case.
Again - we know that this is the case. That Windows to the Universe site shows you the proof.

Geomagnetic storms are not a matter of belief, this is not a religion relying on faith, that needs this sort of statement of belief.

If you ever find someone who does not believe in GMS's, they are wrong, and you can prove it within 11 years.

Sorry, I am not expert, I don't know much about geology. I am just applying some basic physics knowledge. Since permanent magnets would change magnetic properties under immense magnetic field due to rearrangement of magnetic domains or magnetic moments, I think that it would be similar in the case of the earth.

Anyway, I extrapolated from elementary physics, there are lots of flaws. If you find any you could correct me.

ZealScience said:
Sorry, I am not expert, I don't know much about geology. I am just applying some basic physics knowledge. Since permanent magnets would change magnetic properties under immense magnetic field due to rearrangement of magnetic domains or magnetic moments, I think that it would be similar in the case of the earth.

Anyway, I extrapolated from elementary physics, there are lots of flaws. If you find any you could correct me.

I had a feeling this may have been the case. Have a read of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_magnetic_field

The Earths field is not generated like a bar magnet.
In a nutshell - it is formed from the movement of molten iron in the outer core.
A GMS capable of changing this, significantly, would likely strip the whole magnetosphere.

You've have, however, done a fair extrapolation.
So far, no solar storms have permanently changed the magnetism of solid magnets.
What you normally get is induced currents from the charge flux making short-term local changes ... disrupt radio traffic, damage delicate, unshielded, circuitry.

1. How does the Earth's magnetic field protect us?

The Earth's magnetic field protects us from harmful solar radiation and charged particles from the Sun. It acts as a shield, deflecting these particles away from the Earth's atmosphere and preventing them from entering and causing damage.

2. Can human activities affect the Earth's magnetic field?

Yes, human activities such as mining, drilling, and building can affect the Earth's magnetic field. These activities can cause changes in the Earth's crust and mantle, which can alter the distribution of magnetic minerals and therefore affect the overall magnetic field.

3. What causes fluctuations in the Earth's magnetic field?

The Earth's magnetic field is created by the movement of molten iron in the outer core. This movement is influenced by various factors, including changes in the Earth's rotation, movements of the Earth's crust, and interactions with the solar wind. These factors can cause fluctuations in the magnetic field over time.

4. Is the Earth's magnetic field weakening?

Yes, studies have shown that the Earth's magnetic field has weakened by about 9% over the past 200 years. This weakening is a natural process and is a result of changes in the Earth's core. However, it is not expected to have any significant impact on life on Earth.

5. Can the Earth's magnetic field reverse?

Yes, the Earth's magnetic field has reversed in the past, and it is predicted to happen again in the future. This process, known as geomagnetic reversal, is a natural occurrence that happens every few hundred thousand years. Scientists are still studying the causes and potential effects of geomagnetic reversal.