Oscillating rectangular plate

In summary, the period of small oscillations and length of the equivalent simple pendulum can be found using the formula T = 2pi (I/mgl)^1/2, where I is the moment of inertia and l is the length of the pendulum. The length can be calculated as (a^2 + b^2)^1/2, representing the diagonal of the rectangular plate. However, further simplification can be done to the formula by manipulating the exponents.
shizzle
How do i find the period of small oscillations and length of the equivalent simple pendulum, for a rectangular plate (edges a and b) suspended at its corner and oscillating in vertical plane?

T = 2pi (I/mgl)^1/2
i calculated l (length) to be (a^2 + b^2 )^1/2 ---(the diagonal) is this right?

I = m/3 (a^2 + b^2)

when i try to plug this into T though, it gets nasty and I'm not sure this is right. help!

Physics news on Phys.org
shizzle said:
How do i find the period of small oscillations and length of the equivalent simple pendulum, for a rectangular plate (edges a and b) suspended at its corner and oscillating in vertical plane?
T = 2pi (I/mgl)^1/2
i calculated l (length) to be (a^2 + b^2 )^1/2 ---(the diagonal) is this right?
I = m/3 (a^2 + b^2)
when i try to plug this into T though, it gets nasty and I'm not sure this is right. help!

1.I guess last night's discussion really helped. :tongue2: The moment of inertia is correct. :tongue2:
2.The initial formula is correct.
3.The diagonal is correctly calculated and it is a vertical axis for equilibrium.
4.What if it gets nasty? :biggrin: Phyiscs is not always simple. :yuck:

Daniel.

ha ha ha. I think it is possible to simplify it further actually. so...
can i simplify (a^2 +b^2) / (a^2 + b^2)^1/2 = (a^2 + b^2 )^1/2 ? simply playing with the exponents. ie. 1-1/2

1. What is an oscillating rectangular plate?

An oscillating rectangular plate is a flat, rigid object that is able to move back and forth in a periodic manner. It is typically made of a material such as metal or plastic and can have different dimensions and shapes.

2. What causes an oscillating rectangular plate to vibrate?

An oscillating rectangular plate vibrates due to the application of a force or energy. This force can come from an external source, such as an object hitting the plate, or it can be generated internally through mechanisms like electric or magnetic fields.

3. What are some real-world applications of oscillating rectangular plates?

Oscillating rectangular plates have a wide range of practical applications, including in musical instruments, speakers, and sensors. They are also used in engineering and physics experiments to study wave phenomena and structural dynamics.

4. How do the dimensions of a rectangular plate affect its oscillation?

The dimensions of a rectangular plate, including its length, width, and thickness, can greatly impact its oscillation behavior. For example, a longer and thinner plate will have a lower natural frequency and will vibrate in a different pattern than a shorter and thicker plate.

5. What factors can affect the frequency and amplitude of oscillation in a rectangular plate?

The frequency and amplitude of oscillation in a rectangular plate can be influenced by various factors, such as the material and thickness of the plate, the force applied, and any external constraints on the plate's movement. These factors can also affect the resonant frequencies and modes of vibration exhibited by the plate.