Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary: In summary, this conversation consisted of various links to funny and cute animal pictures and gifs. The conversation also touched on the dangers of raising wild animals, the importance of having a sense of humor in certain areas of the forum, and an amusing owl meme.
  • #2,346
BillTre said:
And...? Did Willy actually get to have dinner with Jonathan Livingston Seagull?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,347
strangerep said:
And...? Did Willy actually get to have dinner with Jonathan Livingston Seagull?
White poop in eye -- Check!

Orca -- knocks over his King... :wink:

• #2,348
Grunt, Bambi, Spud, and Tater. My ex and I had 5 acres for 25 years. Having animals was certainly fun... a lot of work and expense, but fun!

1675210131884.png

Likes pinball1970 and collinsmark
  • #2,349
Who said amusement parks were for humans only?

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #2,350

• Love
Likes Borg and BillTre
  • #2,351
Ivan Seeking said:

And now talk yourself out of the accusation of discrimination if you do not support your husky's decision!

Likes BillTre and Ivan Seeking
  • #2,352
fresh_42 said:
And now talk yourself out of the accusation of discrimination if you do not support your husky's decision!
My Dad always said bears were just like big dogs.

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #2,353
BillTre said:
I dunno... Did you see the size of those claws on that cub? :oops:

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #2,354
berkeman said:
Looked pretty fun playing with the dogs.
Just watch out for Mama.

Likes Ivan Seeking and berkeman
  • #2,355
BillTre said:
Well, same family. However, I'd prefer foxes and seals over bears from the family.

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #2,356
berkeman said:
That caught my attention too! Be careful puppies!

Likes berkeman
  • #2,357
Ivan Seeking said:
That caught my attention too! Be careful puppies!
Horses have bigger claws (hooves), just not as many and not a sharp.
Could still hurt.

• #2,358
BillTre said:
Horses have bigger claws (hooves), just not as many and not a sharp.
Could still hurt.
Oh yes! We had a horse for a time, and it nearly killed me. I was walking behind him which was normally okay. But one day, just when I was directly behind him, a tractor in an adjacent field backfired and the horse kicked with both hind feet. I had just turned my head towards the horse. His hooves just barely missed my head - one on each side! It was so close I could hear them go past my ears.

I came very close to dying or sustaining serious injuries three times in the 25 years we had the place. But that one probably scared me the most. It was sooooooooo close!

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #2,359
Okay. Horses bad. Bears bad. Doggies good. Got it. :smile:

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #2,360
Some dogs are bad.
Same with people.
:cool:

Likes pinball1970
  • #2,361
I was trying to find a photo of the horse but I can't remember where I put them at the moment. I did find a photo of some friends who lived down by my office [on our property]. Some years were crazy. They didn't stick around too long but for a couple of months our place got to be like a skunk minefield. But neither I, my ex, or the dogs ever got sprayed... that I can recall.

1675382903013.jpeg

Cats and skunks like each other. I even saw one of our cats sleeping under my truck, with a skunk. So eventually the cats invited the skunks to come have dinner with us. I found this guy in the kitchen at 3AM.

1675383019327.jpeg

• Haha
  • #2,362
The only animal I've ever run away from in the woods was a skunk. I was sneaking in to an area for a hunt on my own before sunrise, and saw him/her in my brief red light flash on a narrow trail as I walked in.

I have retreated and walked around bears and bear cubs in similar situations, but never run...

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #2,363
Ivan Seeking said:
Cats and skunks like each other. [...]
So... all those Pepe Le Pew cartoons are just seriously defamatory bad press?

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #2,364
strangerep said:
So... all those Pepe Le Pew cartoons are just seriously defamatory bad press?
Haha, I have long suspected that the creator of Pepe Le Pew knew about real cats and skunks.

Another one I learned is that horses love goats, and visa versa. There was [reportedly] even a famous racehorse that would get depressed and wouldn't run if he didn't have his goat. It is common for horse people to get goats for their horses. We eventually gave our goats away and that is who took them. And the goats were each going to have their own horse.

Likes BillTre
  • #2,365
Ivan Seeking said:
Another one I learned is that horses love goats, and visa versa.[...] And the goats were each going to have their own horse.
Maybe the horses perceive the goats as very unfortunate foals in serious need of TLC?

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #2,366
strangerep said:
Maybe the horses perceive the goats as very unfortunate foals in serious need of TLC?
I have often wondered if they see goats as baby horses, or perhaps something more like a pet. I suppose an expert in animal behavior might be able to classify the nature of their interactions.

• #2,367
For many years I practiced and practiced, and eventually got very good at approaching wild deer on our property. On a couple of occasions, I got very close. The most dramatic moment is when I got this one to come running to me! It turns out that baby deer speak blink, just like cats. To a deer, apparently several quick blinks means "Let's play!"

1675391812576.jpeg

But mama didn't like that one bit!!! She came running over and got right in my face. I thought I was in biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig trouble!!! She had me backed up against my office door. But I just talked very softly and calmly and explained that I wasn't going to hurt her baby. After perhaps 5 very long seconds she turned about and walked away.

Likes Borg
  • #2,368
berkeman said:
Big dogs in the wrong hands also bad. In fact anything with sharp teeth and a decent bit force that can move faster than a human in the hands of an incompetent human? Bad.

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #2,369
berkeman said:
And some alligators are really bad. They even developed sign-making skills!
TkjJMGg8NtejnfHSNsp-782Uy2H3GTE_Dkxw4r2RaG0.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, dlgoff and 4 others
  • #2,370
pinball1970 said:
Big dogs in the wrong hands also bad. In fact anything with sharp teeth and a decent bit force that can move faster than a human in the hands of an incompetent human? Bad.
Liger bad!

om%2fgen%2f1351337%2fthumbs%2fo-HERCULES-LIGER-900.jpg

• Wow
  • #2,371
  • #2,372
pinball1970 said:
Holy crap.

Yes, you don't want to clean the litter box.

• Haha
  • #2,373
Ivan Seeking said:
Yes, you don't want to clean the litter box.
Um, litter stall...? :wink:

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #2,374
Ivan Seeking said:
Liger bad!
That's "Hercules", right? Seems astonishingly well-behaved.

• #2,375
strangerep said:
That's "Hercules", right? Seems astonishingly well-behaved.
She had better hope so!

He looks like a giant version of my orange tabby. It makes me want to pet him. LOL!

• #2,376
Ivan Seeking said:
Liger bad!
On the British TV panel show QI one of the questions was what you get if a lion mates with a tiger. One of the panellists, Alan Davies, suggested "a scandal".

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and Ivan Seeking
  • #2,377
Ligers are bilingual!

• #2,378
Ivan Seeking said:
He [liger] looks like a giant version of my orange tabby. It makes me want to pet him.
Oh? You have no further use for your hand?

Actually, I feel a desire to cuddle him too. I guess I have no further use for my head. :oldfrown:

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #2,379
Ivan Seeking said:
Ligers are bilingual!

That is insane, a 900lb animal. I don't care how experienced those guys are, that animal freaking out just for a few seconds, for some unknown reason it is all over.

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #2,380
pinball1970 said:
That is insane, a 900lb animal. I don't care how experienced those guys are, that animal freaking out just for a few seconds, for some unknown reason it is all over.
Yep! That is serious business. Did you see that they he lived in their house? :oops:

She makes the comment that one time he put his paw on her face and it was bigger than her head? Clearly that was an intense moment for her. And note that they almost always walk a bit behind the animal.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970