Is 500 Watts Typical for Toilet Motion Sensors? Experts Answer Ramone

In summary, a website displayed specifications for a PIR motion sensor designed for toilets. The sensor has a 180° range and can be wall-mounted, with a reach of 10 meters and a time setting of 5 seconds to 15 minutes. It also has a lux setting of 2-2000 and can switch loads of up to 500 watts. However, the sensor itself only consumes a small amount of power, typically less than a few watts. The standby power usage is unknown, but other similar sensors use less than 100 μA.
ramonegumpert
Dear Experts

I come across a website showing specifications of a PIR motion sensor for toilets.

I quote the specs :

Type 180° Motion Sensor
Application Toilet, WC, Bathrooms, Restroom, Cloakroom
Technology Wall mount Passive Infrared PIR motion sensor
Reach 10 meters
Time Setting 5 Sec - 15 Minutes
Lux setting facility 2-2000 Lux
Load switching 500 Watts Inductive - 230V AC

I cannot believe it!

A motion sensor consumes 500watts ?

Is this typical for say a normal office toilet?

For instance, a PIR motion sensor used to save toilet lighting throughout the day.

So, I just like to know how much electricity typically such a sensor consumes and is the above specs typical?

Thanks very much .

Have a nice day.

Best regards
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, the sensor itself only consumes less than a few watts, but it can switch lights which consume up to 500 watts.

I have a motion sensor that switches a pair of 150 watt lamps when it detects motion and provided it is not in daylight.
The lamps go out after 30 seconds or so.

So, yes, yours is probably pretty typical.

I'm surprised that the specs don't indicate standby power usage. That could be a selling point where other specs are typical.

NascentOxygen said:
I'm surprised that the specs don't indicate standby power usage. That could be a selling point where other specs are typical.

Maybe they themselves do not know either.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments.

Does anyone know how much standby power is consumed ? For example, 1% out of total usage?

Thanks.
regards
Ramone

Here is a motion sensor module:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/audiovis/pirsensor-v1.2.pdf

As you can see, it runs off 5 volts DC and draws less than 100 μA.

If one of these was used in a mains powered device, there would be losses in developing 5 volts DC but the motion sensor itself would not draw much power.

This power would be constant, though. 24 hours a day.

1. Is 500 watts a typical power usage for toilet motion sensors?

No, 500 watts is a very high power usage for a toilet motion sensor. Most toilet motion sensors use only a few watts of power.

2. Why is the power usage of a toilet motion sensor important?

The power usage of a toilet motion sensor is important because it affects the overall energy efficiency and cost of the sensor. A higher power usage can lead to higher electricity bills and a larger environmental impact.

3. Are there more energy-efficient alternatives to 500 watt toilet motion sensors?

Yes, there are many energy-efficient alternatives to 500 watt toilet motion sensors. Some options include using lower wattage sensors or installing sensors with adjustable sensitivity to conserve energy.

4. How do toilet motion sensors work?

Toilet motion sensors use infrared technology to detect movement and activate the flushing mechanism. When a person enters the bathroom, the sensor detects their heat signature and triggers the flushing mechanism.

5. Are there any benefits to using a 500 watt toilet motion sensor?

No, there are not any significant benefits to using a 500 watt toilet motion sensor. In fact, it may be less desirable due to its high power usage and potential for higher energy costs.

Back