Transform a pde into rotating frame

In summary, to change an equation into the rotating frame, you need to use the transforms given and take into account the time derivative in the transformation using the chain rule.
climbon
Hi,

I have an equation of the form;

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}(W) = \omega \left(x \frac{\partial}{\partial y} - y \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right) W + g \frac{\partial}{\partial y} W + k x \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} W
[/tex]

I want to change it into the rotating frame using the transform;

x = x' cos(wt) - y' sin(wt)
y = x' sin(wt) + y' cos(wt)

I have calculated the derivatives of these transforms to be;

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} = -cos(\omega t) \frac{\partial}{\partial x'} - sin(\omega t) \frac{\partial}{\partial y'}
\\
\frac{\partial}{\partial y} = -cos(\omega t) \frac{\partial}{\partial y'} + sin(\omega t) \frac{\partial}{\partial x'}
\\
\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} = -cos^(2)(\omega t) \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x'^2} - sin^(2)(\omega t) \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y'^2}
[/tex]

I am assuming I can just substitute these transforms for x, y and their derivatives into the original equation and this will give me the original equation in the rotating frame...but do I have to do something with the time derivative on the L.H.S of the original equation??

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you need to take into account the time derivative in the transformation. The time derivative should be transformed using the chain rule as follows: \frac{d}{dt}=\frac{\partial x'}{\partial t}\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}+\frac{\partial y'}{\partial t}\frac{\partial}{\partial y'}\\= -\omega(x'\frac{\partial}{\partial x'}+y'\frac{\partial}{\partial y'})Substituting the above derivatives and the transforms into the original equation will give the equation in the rotating frame.

1. What is a rotating frame in the context of PDEs?

A rotating frame is a coordinate system that rotates at a constant angular velocity relative to an inertial frame. In the context of PDEs, it is used to simplify the equations of motion by transforming them into a rotating frame where the effects of rotation are accounted for.

2. Why is it necessary to transform a PDE into a rotating frame?

Transforming a PDE into a rotating frame can make the equations simpler and easier to solve. It is particularly useful when dealing with systems that involve rotating objects or fluids, as it allows for the effects of rotation to be included in the equations.

3. What are the steps involved in transforming a PDE into a rotating frame?

The first step is to define the rotating frame by specifying the angular velocity and the direction of rotation. Then, the equations of motion are transformed by applying a coordinate transformation. This involves converting the derivatives with respect to the inertial frame into derivatives with respect to the rotating frame. The transformed equations can then be solved using standard methods.

4. Can any PDE be transformed into a rotating frame?

No, not all PDEs can be transformed into a rotating frame. The equations must have a rotational symmetry, meaning that they are invariant under a rotation transformation. Additionally, the equations must be linear, as non-linear terms can become more complicated when transformed into a rotating frame.

5. Are there any limitations to using a rotating frame in PDEs?

While transforming a PDE into a rotating frame can simplify the equations, it may also introduce additional terms that need to be considered. Additionally, the choice of rotating frame can affect the form of the equations and may not always be the most convenient choice for solving the problem. It is important to carefully consider the implications of using a rotating frame for a particular PDE before proceeding with the transformation.