What can be done with old computer equipment?

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, the conversation discusses the disposal of old computer equipment at a math and science center, and the speaker is seeking ideas for what to do with the equipment. Suggestions include selling components on eBay, setting up a Linux beowulf cluster, using the computers as a PVR, or donating them to a developing country. There is also a debate about the benefits of learning Windows networking versus Linux/Unix networking.
Tom McCurdy
The math and science center I attend is cleaning shop and finally getting rid of the old computers that were laying around. There are tons of monitors and computers both mac/pc none faster than Pentium 2. Most of it is junk by itself but they all work. I need some ideas of what to do with all of this computer equipment. Right now I am leaning towards selling individual componets on ebay in hopes of making a couple hundred dollars. However I would rather use the computers somehow. I took one of the better ones that was our old server and am making a server out of it, but I still have tons of old computers/monitors/acessories. Its funny going back and seeing stuff such as Locus 1-2-3. I was thinking maybe a beowulf cluster but I mean 20 computers times 100 mhz equals less than my desktop. But it would still be fun to do. Well if you have any ideas let me know.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. I work for the Computer Center at my university and we're in the middle of trashing and giving away a **** load of computer equipment (mostly P3s and P2s, about 5 Mac G3s and a crap load of moniters).

Oddly enough, the RAM in those things are probably the most valueable (not so much the case since they're used). PC100 and PC133 RAM is pretty expensive.

They should be powerful enough to run some Linux flavors and BSD, maybe some old skool ms-dos. So it would be possible to set up a beowulf clustor.

You could always give them away to some poor church or school nearby.

Ryan

dduardo said:
How about setting up a linux beowulf cluster that will drive an array of monitors to watch television on. You can also have the boxes act as a pvr. Now that would be cool.

It would look something like this:

http://yara.ecn.purdue.edu/~pplinux/Sites/piifront.gif

The idea of watching one show on a dozen monitors made me laugh..but still is pretty neat.

hmm well I have the actual specs... I will upload the picture of some of teh computers tomorrow. I also decided to sell one in a computer shop for 80 dollars. (get 40 on consignment) anyway how much work would it be to set up a beowulf cluster

Here are the gentoo howtos for a linux cluster:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/cluster/

You'll probable want to read:

High-Performance HOWTO and openMosix HOWTO

the best experiment you could make with them is setup w95 LAN and when
you realize that there are new faster machines and have learned a bit win networking
give them away for free to a friend to get a similar experience or a friend in electronics who might like to salvage componetry from them

philocrazy said:
the best experiment you could make with them is setup w95 LAN and when
you realize that there are new faster machines and have learned a bit win networking
give them away for free to a friend to get a similar experience or a friend in electronics who might like to salvage componetry from them

Why in the world would you want to learn Windows networking? :eek: I mean what is there to it? Active Directory, files shares, printer shares, etc. all can be done with Samba and LDAP on Linux/BSD/UNIX systems.

yeah its hard to run a windows cluster with macs

Linux/Unix is just networking
windows is more than that is the biggest network on the planet
and is simpler to use and a whole lot more
------------------------------
Why in the world would you want to learn Windows networking? I mean what is there to it? Active Directory, files shares, printer shares, etc. all can be done with Samba and LDAP on Linux/BSD/UNIX systems.
-----------------------------
you like linux/unix and you like to say so
and i say windows isn't there to like but use

philocrazy said:
Why in the world would you want to learn Windows networking? I mean what is there to it? Active Directory, files shares, printer shares, etc. all can be done with Samba and LDAP on Linux/BSD/UNIX systems.

Perhaps you'd care to clue me in, but that made absolutely no sense. You say Windows is more than networking, yet you state that someone should use it because it's the `biggest network.' That's kind of circular don't you think? And to support your point that `networking is a good thing,' you stated 'Linux/UNIX is just networking.' That doesn't exactly support your stance does it?

Anyway How long would it take for a complete newb to create a linux network using 9 power computing macs

Tom McCurdy said:
Anyway How long would it take for a complete newb to create a linux network using 9 power computing macs

... 5 minutes.

Sorry not network... beowulf cluster ... like the picture lol

Anybody thought of donating them to one of the organizations that send them to developing countries. I'm an Australian living in Brazil and public schools here would kill for some of that "old stuff". I don't know the names of these organizations but I know they are out there, food for thought...?

philocrazy said:

I will burn your ISP.

Not really, but its a fair threat for that kind of comment.

Windows is not easier. Its a load of bloated crap that i don't need that just gets in my way. The only thing i can't do on linux that i can is play HL2, and Rome. Thats the only reason i keep windows around. EVERYTHING else worth doing, can be done on linux. Easier, faster, and better.

And linux is not just for networking, its for people that need an OS that can actually perform.

Tom McCurdy said:
You can see the computers I have in my latest vid blog
www.quantumninja.com/tom/movies/bjan31-1.wmv

its the stack of 10 macs lol

they all run os 8 and are 200 mhzish

I'd take em off your hands, i need all the extra CPU cycles i can get my hands on currently.

We still have a few of those lying around in lower division lab classes, with the evil one button mouse. Evil.

franznietzsche said:
I will burn your ISP.

Windows is not easier. Its a load of bloated crap that i don't need that just gets in my way. The only thing i can't do on linux that i can is play HL2, and Rome. Thats the only reason i keep windows around. EVERYTHING else worth doing, can be done on linux. Easier, faster, and better.

And linux is not just for networking, its for people that need an OS that can actually perform.

Don't be so closed-minded. Yes, Samba, OpenLDAP, etc. can run on Linux, all of which are better implementations than their Microsoft counterparts. With this said, there's also better implementations of most of the services available for Linux. NFS on any propiertary UNIX, will blow the Linux implementation out of the water. Ever used Sun One's LDAP server? Psst, it doesn't even compare to OpenLDAP. Regardless, almost all of the apps that build in Linux will also build in Solaris or AIX, and even perform better (NFS and Samba being the emphasis).

As far as being able to do something `easier,' Linux is quite behind. Ever used AIX's smit (or smitty)? Almost every system task can be done through the slick curses-style interface, and it'll let you even see the command that it's going to run to complete the task. Therefore, next time you want to do the task yourself, you'll know how to. Solaris has something equally similar called SMC (Sun Management Console), which is very similar to MMC (Microsoft Management Console) found in Windows. SMC will let you remotely administer systems just like SMC, however, it's not quite as capable as smit is at the moment. I have yet to find a Linux utility with as much power as smit or SMC, and even Microsoft has a tool that provides easier `administration' than that of most Linux distributions (SuSE's YaST being the exception).

If you're not confined to the computer's in your bedroom and are part of a real IT department, you're going to be using a real propiertary UNIX, like Solaris and AIX for services that you want to `really perform' and can `easily administer.'

Edit: Solaris will no longer be propiertary in the upcoming months. OpenSolaris will be released under the CDDL license, which is very similar to the Mozilla (Firefox) license. In fact, Solaris is free at the moment, however, the source code is not - OpenSolaris will fix this.

I do not mean to emphasize that only those in an IT department or production environment have a need for Solaris. I'm running a Solaris network at home, myself. A few propiertary Sun systems, yes, however the bulk of the network is Solaris 9 & 10 for x86. All of which serve for great workstations and servers, alike.

Last edited:
franznietzsche said:
The only thing i can't do on linux that i can is play HL2, and Rome.

You can play HL2 on Linux:

Check out the screenshot:

http://www.linux-gamers.net/uploads/img41b714d07fb71.jpg

The only thing you need is a copy of HL2 and TransGaming's Cedega 4.2.1

http://www.transgaming.com/

graphic7 said:
Don't be so closed-minded. Yes, Samba, OpenLDAP, etc. can run on Linux, all of which are better implementations than their Microsoft counterparts. With this said, there's also better implementations of most of the services available for Linux. NFS on any propiertary UNIX, will blow the Linux implementation out of the water. Ever used Sun One's LDAP server? Psst, it doesn't even compare to OpenLDAP. Regardless, almost all of the apps that build in Linux will also build in Solaris or AIX, and even perform better (NFS and Samba being the emphasis).

As far as being able to do something `easier,' Linux is quite behind. Ever used AIX's smit (or smitty)? Almost every system task can be done through the slick curses-style interface, and it'll let you even see the command that it's going to run to complete the task. Therefore, next time you want to do the task yourself, you'll know how to. Solaris has something equally similar called SMC (Sun Management Console), which is very similar to MMC (Microsoft Management Console) found in Windows. SMC will let you remotely administer systems just like SMC, however, it's not quite as capable as smit is at the moment. I have yet to find a Linux utility with as much power as smit or SMC, and even Microsoft has a tool that provides easier `administration' than that of most Linux distributions (SuSE's YaST being the exception).

If you're not confined to the computer's in your bedroom and are part of a real IT department, you're going to be using a real propiertary UNIX, like Solaris and AIX for services that you want to `really perform' and can `easily administer.'

Edit: Solaris will no longer be propiertary in the upcoming months. OpenSolaris will be released under the CDDL license, which is very similar to the Mozilla (Firefox) license. In fact, Solaris is free at the moment, however, the source code is not - OpenSolaris will fix this.

I do not mean to emphasize that only those in an IT department or production environment have a need for Solaris. I'm running a Solaris network at home, myself. A few propiertary Sun systems, yes, however the bulk of the network is Solaris 9 & 10 for x86. All of which serve for great workstations and servers, alike.

I was attacking windows, not boasting linux. Personally I'm now running fedora but plan on switching to FreeBSD. Nothing you said disagreed with what i meant (ok so i suck at wording my sentences when i ahven't slept in a day or two).

My point was that his comment about *nix only being good for networking and that windows was superior otherwise is a crock.

dduardo said:
You can play HL2 on Linux:

Check out the screenshot:

http://www.linux-gamers.net/uploads/img41b714d07fb71.jpg

The only thing you need is a copy of HL2 and TransGaming's Cedega 4.2.1

http://www.transgaming.com/

Yay, one less reason for windows. This is good.

well its time to decide

a. Sell them on ebay
so far 12 computers
9 VGA working montiors with 15-17" range

b. beowulf cluster

c.? any ideas

Sell it and buy a good computer. If you sell all 9 monitors at $35 and the ram from those 12 computers at $20 you could be looking at nearly $600 which is good enough to get you a pretty darn good computer, assuming you build it yourself.

What would be the best medium to sell it from.
So take the ram out of the macs

So it would be better to sell the RAM separate from the computers?

It is going to be hard for you to find someone to buy an old whole system nowadays. It is better to just strip the pieces and sell them individually.

Checkout ebay to see how to price your goods.

dduardo said:
It is going to be hard for you to find someone to buy an old whole system nowadays. It is better to just strip the pieces and sell them individually.

Checkout ebay to see how to price your goods.

i would. twelve times 200 mhz gives me an extra 2.4 ghz. Very useful because it would give me a dedicated system for my work. Unfortunately, straving student, i don't have $600, and i doubt I'm going to be able to convince the uni to cover it.

franznietzsche

Read my Journal Quote:
Originally Posted by philocrazy

I will burn your ISP.

-------------------------------------------------
if it works better than windows or apple, why not
by the way my isp, do me a favor, do what you like with them

franznietzsche

i would. twelve times 200 mhz gives me an extra 2.4 ghz. Very useful because it would give me a dedicated system for my work. Unfortunately, straving student, i don't have $600, and i doubt I'm going to be able to convince the uni to cover it.

-------------------------------------
buy them! and youll still get 200mhz not to mention the old buses that run at hot
speeds ,franznietzsche you can find more machines of such speeds to add up to greater speeds say 300ghz
guys the linux guru franznietzsche

You can't just do 12 times 200Mhz. There are things like overhead which will reduce the maximum speed achievable. You'll be lucky to get 1.2ghz from all twelve computers.

philocrazy said:
buy them! and youll still get 200mhz not to mention the old buses that run at hot
speeds ,franznietzsche you can find more machines of such speeds to add up to greater speeds say 300ghz
guys the linux guru franznietzsche

I sense ridicule, coming from someone who doesn't know how to use quote tags.

dduardo said:
You can't just do 12 times 200Mhz. There are things like overhead which will reduce the maximum speed achievable. You'll be lucky to get 1.2ghz from all twelve computers.

I will admit my own ignoarance in hardware setups. What specifically would be limiting the number of cycles you could get?

Some of the factors that cause overhead:

1. The speed of the network.

In a non-clustered configuration a single computer a stick of PC100 can be read by the cpu at 800MB/s. With PC133 it is 1GB/s. Therefore, if you using a 100baseT network your bottlenecking the speed at which one cpu can get data from other node on the cluster. This is why high end clusters use fiber optic.

2. The software managing the sharing of the load.

Managing data over multiple nodes is very complicated. You need to keep track of all the processes going on at all times. Syncing processes/memory is one of the major design issues encoutered when writing clustering management software. If not designed properly, you'll get terrible performance.

3. The program you want to run.

Not all programs can be split. Depending on how the software was programmed will dictate how well the process can be split.

I am getting lost in the discussion are people debating on whether or not a 12 Power Computing mac beowulf cluster would be worth setting up?