Differential equation with three variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of finding a solution for dr/dt with given constants a, b, and c. It is mentioned that there are two unknown functions, r and s, in the equation and that a single equation cannot be solved for multiple unknowns. Finally, it is suggested to solve for dr/dt by using the relation between dr/ds and ds/dt.
Nilupa
Can anyone help me on this equation. I want to find a solution for dr/dt. a, b and c are constants.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Nilupa and welcome to the forums.

You need to show us what you have tried, any thoughts you have and any work of any kind you have done on the problem.

Also this is a non-linear partial differential equation of which many don't have known analytic solutions, so this should be kept in mind.

In general, you can't solve a single equation for multiple unknowns. And here you have, even counting a, b, and c as given constants, two unknown functons, r and s, in one equation.

(This is NOT a "partial differential equation"- there is only one independent variable, t.)

HallsofIvy said:
In general, you can't solve a single equation for multiple unknowns. And here you have, even counting a, b, and c as given constants, two unknown functons, r and s, in one equation.

(This is NOT a "partial differential equation"- there is only one independent variable, t.)

Yes I apologize, I mis-read the graphic wrong: it's not a PDE.

Nilupa;3995763 I want to find a solution for dr/dt[/QUOTE said:
I believe you can solve for [itex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex] in that. Note that:

[tex]\frac{dr}{ds}=\frac{\frac{dr}{dt}}{\frac{ds}{dt}}[/tex]

Ok then, just turn the crank now.

jackmell said:
I believe you can solve for [itex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex] in that. Note that:

[tex]\frac{dr}{ds}=\frac{\frac{dr}{dt}}{\frac{ds}{dt}}[/tex]

Ok then, just turn the crank now.

Thank you so much... Now I think i can solve it.

1. What is a differential equation with three variables?

A differential equation with three variables is an equation that involves three variables, one or more of which is a function of the others, and one or more of which is a derivative of one of the functions.

2. How is a differential equation with three variables different from a regular differential equation?

A differential equation with three variables is different from a regular differential equation in that it involves three variables instead of just two. This means that the equation is more complex and may require different methods for solving.

3. What are the applications of differential equations with three variables?

Differential equations with three variables have many applications in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and understand systems that involve multiple variables and their rates of change.

4. How can one solve a differential equation with three variables?

Solving a differential equation with three variables can be done through various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, and using specific techniques for solving partial differential equations. The method used will depend on the specific equation and its characteristics.

5. What are the challenges of working with differential equations with three variables?

Differential equations with three variables can be challenging to work with due to their complexity and the potential for multiple solutions. They may also require advanced mathematical knowledge and techniques for solving, making them a more advanced topic in the study of differential equations.