Solution to nonlinear ODE with radicals

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation for a particular function and the attempts made to solve it using different methods. One potential solution is found where y = cx, but it is not a general solution. The conversation ends with a suggestion to find all the real roots to better understand the behavior of the equation.
davikrehalt
I am not too familiar with differential equations but am familiar with basic calculus, I came across this equation trying to describe a particular function:
dy/dx =((sqrt((y-x)^2+y^2)-abs(y))/(y-x))*abs(y)/y

Anyway I tried to separate the variables unsuccessfully and using v(x)=y(x)/x with no success, I really tried and couldn't solve it, so some insight would be appreciated. I tried restricting y to be positive, still without a breakthrough. Sorry if it's confusing, can't figure out the math format.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a solution y = cx, if that helps. c satisfies a quartic. One of the roots is 1, but you can discount that, leaving a cubic. All the real roots of that are negative.

Are you suggesting that I try to solve the differential equation with respect to c? Could you elaborate a little since I fail to see c satisfying a quartic.

Suppose y > 0 in some domain:
dy/dx = (√((y-x)2+y2)-y)/(y-x)
Put y = cx:
c = (√((c-1)2+c2)-c)/(c-1)
c(c-1) + c = √((c-1)2+c2) = c2
(c-1)2+c2 = c4
(c-1)2 = c2(c2-1)
There's a common factor c-1. That root corresponds to y=x, which makes the original equation indeterminate. Otherwise:
(c-1) = c2(c+1)

OTOH, where y < 0:
dy/dx = -(√((y-x)2+y2)+y)/(y-x)
Put y = cx:
c = -(√((c-1)2+c2)+c)/(c-1)
c(c-1) - c = -√((c-1)2+c2) = c2 -2c
etc.

haruspex said:
Suppose y > 0 in some domain:
dy/dx = (√((y-x)2+y2)-y)/(y-x)
Put y = cx:
c = (√((c-1)2+c2)-c)/(c-1).

Thanks for the reply, but I was looking for a more general solution where y is not necessarily a linear function of x, perhaps where c would also be a function of x. It seems that your solution forces the y to be zero when x is zero. If c is a function of x then,

c+x*dc/dx =(√((c-1)2+c2)-c)/(c-1)
x*dc/dx=(√((c-1)2+c2)-c^2)/(c-1)
Then, I am quite at a loss trying to integrate and solve that for c

davikrehalt said:
Thanks for the reply, but I was looking for a more general solution where y is not necessarily a linear function of x,
Of course. I was merely pointing out one set of solutions. These should shed light on the overall behaviour. Other solutions cannot cross the line y = cx. Finding all the real roots for the two cases (y >/< 0) will carve up the plane into separate domains.

1. How do you solve a nonlinear ODE with radicals?

To solve a nonlinear ODE with radicals, you can use various methods such as substitution, separation of variables, or the power series method. These methods involve manipulating the equation to eliminate the radicals and then using standard techniques for solving ODEs.

2. Can all nonlinear ODEs with radicals be solved?

No, not all nonlinear ODEs with radicals have analytical solutions. In some cases, it may be necessary to use numerical methods to approximate a solution.

3. What are the challenges of solving nonlinear ODEs with radicals?

Solving nonlinear ODEs with radicals can be challenging due to the complexity of the equations and the need for special techniques. Additionally, the presence of radicals can make it difficult to find closed-form solutions.

4. Are there any real-world applications for nonlinear ODEs with radicals?

Yes, nonlinear ODEs with radicals are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering to model complex systems and phenomena. Examples include chemical reactions, population dynamics, and fluid dynamics.

5. How can I check if my solution to a nonlinear ODE with radicals is correct?

One way to check the validity of your solution is to substitute it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use numerical methods to approximate the solution and compare it to your analytical solution.