Find Solution 4*(x^2)*y +y=0, y(-1)=2, y'(-1)=0

• Thread starter BobMarly
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a solution for the differential equation 4*(x^2)*y"+y=0 with given boundary conditions. The approach involves setting y = a(n)x^n and determining the values of n that make the equation equal to zero. It is suggested to use the simpler approach of setting y = x^n, which leads to the solution y = x^(1/2)*[A + Bln(x)].
BobMarly
Find Solution 4*(x^2)*y"+y=0, y(-1)=2, y'(-1)=0

Not even sure where to start on this one?
Is this a series solution problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Try a solution of the form x^n

x^n?, does that mean y=a(n)x^n, leading to y'=n*a(n)*x^(n-1), y"=n*(n-1)*a(n)*x(n-2), then substitute?

Last edited:

Well, you can throw in an a(n) if you want but once you do your substitution you'll see that it cancels out. That said, the a(n) is important as it is a constant that will be determined once you use your boundary conditions.

Basically, set y = a(n)x^n and find which values of n will make 4*(x^2)*y'' + y equal zero.

I end up with 4*x^2*(sum(n=0))(n+2)*(n+1)*a(n-2)*(x^n)+(sum(n=0))a(n)*(x^n)
I'm working toward the recurance relation, correct?
What about the 4*x^2 for the first summation?

You're not working towards a recurrence relation, let's see if we can get away with something easier!

Literally just write y = x^n
Then 4*(x^2)*y'' + y = 4n(n-1)x^n + x^n = [4n^2 - 4n + 1]x^n = ([2n - 1]^2)x^n

So we know that n=1/2 will give us a working solution i.e. y = A*x^(1/2)

Unfortunately, we need two degrees of freedom and we just have one. Luckily, we know how to deal with resonance of this form as we know that y = B*x^(1/2)*ln(x) will be a solution.

Thus, our general solution is y = x^(1/2)*[A + Bln(x)]

1. What is the solution to the given differential equation?

The solution to the differential equation 4*(x^2)*y + y = 0 is y = 2/x^4. This can be found by rearranging the equation and integrating both sides with respect to x.

2. How can I verify if a given function is the solution to the differential equation?

To verify if a function is the solution to the differential equation, substitute the function into the equation and its derivatives. If the equation holds true, then the function is a valid solution.

3. What is the initial condition for this differential equation?

The initial condition for this differential equation is y(-1) = 2, which means that when x = -1, y = 2.

4. How do I find the particular solution for this differential equation?

To find the particular solution for this differential equation, substitute the given initial condition into the general solution and solve for the constant of integration. In this case, we have y = 2/x^4, and when x = -1, we get y = 2/(-1)^4 = 2.

5. What is the significance of the initial condition and derivative in this differential equation?

The initial condition and derivative provide crucial information to find the particular solution for the differential equation. They serve as starting points and help determine the value of the constant of integration, which is essential in finding the specific solution.