Direction of Goldbach Partitions

In summary: Hi Haruspex:The x's in the sequence represent the number of different sequences that can be generated from Hardy-Littlewoods equation, starting with the number x and going up to x+1. The two x's in the sequence are the same sequence, because they are consecutive.
Paul Mackenzie
I have been investigating goldbach partitions for some time.
One interesting observation I have been able to determine is concerning the "direction" of the goldbach partitions whether they are increasing or decreasing as 2N increases.

To get an idea of this I constructed a function f(2N) where

f(2N) = 1 if G[2N] - G[2N-2] > 0
f(2N) = 0 if G[2N] - G[2N-2] = 0
f(2N) = -1 if G[2N] - G[2N-2] < 0

where G[2N] is the number of partitions for the even number 2N.

I then generated a sequence of numbers f(2N) beginning at 2N = 10 and finishing at 2N=75398
[arbitrarily selected]. The sequence is then:

{1,1,-1,1,1,-1,-1,1,1,-1,-1,1,-1,1,1,-1,1,1,-1,1,1,-1,-1,1,-1,1,1,-1,1,1,-1,...}

I ran a program to determine a histogram of the number of occurences of the subsequences of the following form

histogram

subsequence type
No. of Occurences

x,1,x

x,-1,x

x,1,1,x

x,-1,-1,x

x,1,1,1,x

x,-1,-1,-1,x

x,0,x

I have been trying to work out a descriptive name for this sequence. Any suggestions?

The question then arises will a sequence generated from Hardy-Littlewoods equation
for Goldbach partions be similar?

Also , any comments on the histogram? Why the assymetric nature ?

And why only these subsequences? I would have thought there would have been longer runs. Any ideas?

Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly does 'x,1,x' mean? Are the two x's the same or independent? Either way, the count seems much too low. How can it be less than x,1,1,x?

Hi Haruspex:

I am counting the number of consecutive runs of similar digits in the sequence. So the run x1x refers to either the subsequence 0,1,0, or 0,1,-1 or -1,1,0 or -1,1,-1.
As another example the consecutive run of two positive ones viz x,1,1,x refers to the subsequences -1,1,1,0 or -1,1,1,-1 or 0,1,1,0 or 0,1,1,-1.

All the counts are mutually exclusive, and add up to the correct number of digits [give or take one or two, as I am having problems with the start and end of the sequence]

But the question remains why this particular pattern.

Kind Regards
Paul

1. What is the Direction of Goldbach Partitions?

The direction of Goldbach partitions refers to the trend or pattern observed in the distribution of prime numbers that sum up to an even number, also known as Goldbach numbers. This direction is often studied in the field of number theory.

2. How is the Direction of Goldbach Partitions studied?

The direction of Goldbach partitions is studied by analyzing the distribution of prime numbers and their sums on a graph. This allows mathematicians to observe any patterns or trends in the distribution of Goldbach numbers.

3. What are the implications of understanding the Direction of Goldbach Partitions?

Understanding the direction of Goldbach partitions can provide valuable insights into the distribution of prime numbers and their sums. It can also help in developing new algorithms and theories in number theory.

4. Is there a specific direction observed in Goldbach partitions?

There is no specific direction observed in Goldbach partitions. However, some studies have shown that there may be a slight bias towards certain prime numbers in the distribution of Goldbach numbers.

5. Why is the Direction of Goldbach Partitions important?

The direction of Goldbach partitions is important for understanding the behavior of prime numbers and their sums. It also has applications in cryptography and other branches of mathematics.