More than one identity element for absolute value?

In summary: No, that's not what I'm saying. Rather, given the nonnegative real number 2, 4 is an identity of 2. Because 2*4=2=4*2.But I think I've just discovered my mistake. Let me know if this is right: an identity e is a SINGLE element of a set S for which a*e=e*a=a FOR EVERY a in S. In other words, an identity - in order to be such - must be (A) a single element of S and (B) hold for, not just one, but EVERY element in S.On the other hand, an inverse is specific - though it...In summary, an identity e for a
physicsforum7
I was thinking about identities, and seem to have arrived at a contradiction. I'm sure I'm missing something.

A(n) (two-sided) identity for a binary operation must be unique.

I will reproduce the familiar proof:

Proof: Suppose a is an arbitrary element of a set S, e and e' are both identities, and * is an arbitrary binary operation. Then a*e=e'*a=a. Now take a=e' in the first equation; so e'*e=e'. Take a=e in the second equation; e'*e=e. Thus e'*e=e=e'.

But what about x*y= [itex]\left|x-y\right|[/itex] defined on the set of nonnegative real numbers?

It seems that both 0 and 2x are identities.

Can anybody find my mistake? Thanks ahead of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsforum7 said:
I was thinking about identities, and seem to have arrived at a contradiction. I'm sure I'm missing something.

A(n) (two-sided) identity for a binary operation must be unique.

I will reproduce the familiar proof:

Proof: Suppose a is an arbitrary element of a set S, e and e' are both identities, and * is an arbitrary binary operation. Then a*e=e'*a=a. Now take a=e' in the first equation; so e'*e=e'. Take a=e in the second equation; e'*e=e. Thus e'*e=e=e'.

But what about x*y= [itex]\left|x-y\right|[/itex] defined on the set of nonnegative real numbers?

It seems that both 0 and 2x are identities.

Can anybody find my mistake? Thanks ahead of time.

You're right that 0 is an identity. But 2x is not an identity. Indeed, 2x isn't even a real number! Rather, x is a variable, so 2x is a variable.

Think about what number you actually mean with 2x. What is it's decimal representation? Is it bigger than 1?? All these questions should convince you that 2x makes no sense as a number.

micromass said:
You're right that 0 is an identity. But 2x is not an identity. Indeed, 2x isn't even a real number! Rather, x is a variable, so 2x is a variable.

Think about what number you actually mean with 2x. What is it's decimal representation? Is it bigger than 1?? All these questions should convince you that 2x makes no sense as a number.

Aha! But I'm not entirely convinced yet. What of inverses? Isn't -x the inverse of x with respect to addition in the set of real numbers?

Surely 2x is as much a number as -x... right?

physicsforum7 said:
Aha! But I'm not entirely convinced yet. What of inverses? Isn't -x the inverse of x with respect to addition in the set of real numbers?

Surely 2x is as much a number as -x... right?

But -x is not a number either!

If we say that -x is the inverse of x, then this is shorthand for: given a real number denoted by x, then -x is the inverse of x.
So in this sense, x just becomes the name of a real number. For example: given the real number 2, then -2 is the inverse of 2. Or given the real number 4, then -4 is the inverse of 4. So the convention is that x can take on every real number.

When you are saying that 2x is the identity of *. What is it that you mean?? What is x? Can we let x take on every real number?? The notation does not make any sense.

micromass said:
But -x is not a number either!

If we say that -x is the inverse of x, then this is shorthand for: given a real number denoted by x, then -x is the inverse of x.
So in this sense, x just becomes the name of a real number. For example: given the real number 2, then -2 is the inverse of 2. Or given the real number 4, then -4 is the inverse of 4. So the convention is that x can take on every real number.

When you are saying that 2x is the identity of *. What is it that you mean?? What is x? Can we let x take on every real number?? The notation does not make any sense.
I hope you'll pardon my slowness; I still don't understand the second paragraph you wrote. When you say,

"When you are saying that 2x is the identity of *. What is it that you mean?? What is x? Can we let x take on every real number?? The notation does not make any sense."

I am confused, because I said in my first post that x can take on the value of any nonnegative real number.

"But what about x*y= |x−y| defined on the set of nonnegative real numbers?

It seems that both 0 and 2x are identities."

Perhaps I could have been more explicit, but that is what I meant.

physicsforum7 said:
I hope you'll pardon my slowness; I still don't understand the second paragraph you wrote. When you say,

"When you are saying that 2x is the identity of *. What is it that you mean?? What is x? Can we let x take on every real number?? The notation does not make any sense."

I am confused, because I said in my first post that x can take on the value of any nonnegative real number.

"But what about x*y= |x−y| defined on the set of nonnegative real numbers?

It seems that both 0 and 2x are identities."

Perhaps I could have been more explicit, but that is what I meant.

OK, so x can be 1?? So you say that 2 is an identity?? This is not true as 2*0≠0.

micromass said:
OK, so x can be 1?? So you say that 2 is an identity?? This is not true as 2*0≠0.
No, that's not what I'm saying. Rather, given the nonnegative real number 2, 4 is an identity of 2. Because 2*4=2=4*2.

But I think I've just discovered my mistake. Let me know if this is right: an identity e is a SINGLE element of a set S for which a*e=e*a=a FOR EVERY a in S. In other words, an identity - in order to be such - must be

(A) a single element of S and

(B) hold for, not just one, but EVERY element in S.

On the other hand, an inverse is specific - though it need not be unique to a single element of S - to a single element in S. In other words,

(1) While each element a in S has only one inverse, an element that acts as an inverse for a may be the same element that acts as an inverse for b in S.

(2) From the theorem of uniqueness: an element a may only have one element e as its inverse.

Now I'm not wholly sure of (1), for there may be a theorem that I've yet to encounter. (If so, can you correct me?) But strictly from the definitions, would you say that this is all accurate?

If so, I think this clears up my confusion.

physicsforum7 said:
No, that's not what I'm saying. Rather, given the nonnegative real number 2, 4 is an identity of 2. Because 2*4=2=4*2.

But I think I've just discovered my mistake. Let me know if this is right: an identity e is a SINGLE element of a set S for which a*e=e*a=a FOR EVERY a in S. In other words, an identity - in order to be such - must be

(A) a single element of S and

(B) hold for, not just one, but EVERY element in S.

YES! That's exactly it! An identity is ONE elements that is good for EACH other element.

On the other hand, an inverse is specific - though it need not be unique to a single element of S - to a single element in S.

Right. Here we have that EACH element has a specific inverse for THAT element.

In other words,

(1) While each element a in S has only one inverse, an element that acts as an inverse for a may be the same element that acts as an inverse for b in S.

Right. Nothing in the definitions rules out that the inverse of a cannot be equal to the inverse of b.
However, this can actually not happen (but it is not straightforward from the definitions, we need to prove it). We have that: if the inverse of a equals the inverse of b, then a=b and the two inverses are equal.
The proof of this fact follows from the fact that the inverse of the inverse of a equals a.
If I denote the inverse of a by -a. Then we have that -(-a)=a.
So, if -a=-b. Then -(-a)=-(-b) and thus a=b.

(2) From the theorem of uniqueness: an element a may only have one element e as its inverse.

Right. But this is again not clear from the definitions. It is again a theorem that must be proven.

Excellent! Thank you very much for your patience and your help.

1. What is an identity element for absolute value?

An identity element for absolute value is a value that, when used in an absolute value equation, will not change the result. In other words, it is a value that has no effect on the absolute value operation.

2. Can there be more than one identity element for absolute value?

Yes, there can be more than one identity element for absolute value. In fact, there are two: 0 and -0. This is because the absolute value of both 0 and -0 is 0, so they have no effect on the absolute value operation.

3. How do you determine the identity elements for absolute value?

To determine the identity elements for absolute value, you can look at the definition of an identity element. It is a value that, when used in an operation, will not change the result. In the case of absolute value, any value that has no effect on the operation, meaning its absolute value is the same as the original value, is an identity element.

4. Why are there two identity elements for absolute value?

The reason there are two identity elements for absolute value is because of the concept of negative numbers. The absolute value of a positive number and its negative counterpart are the same, so both 0 and -0 have no effect on the absolute value operation.

5. Are there any other operations that have more than one identity element?

Yes, there are other operations that have more than one identity element. For example, addition has two identity elements: 0 and -0. Multiplication also has two identity elements: 1 and -1. These operations share the same concept of having an identity element that has no effect on the operation.