Mastering Physics: Collision on an incline plane and perfectly inelastic collision

In summary, the first problem involves using gsin(theta) to find acceleration along the ramp and solving for velocities before and after the collision to determine the distance the cart rolls back up the ramp. The second problem requires finding the magnitude of the velocity using the momentum equation and then using the x and y components of the velocity in projectile motion equations to determine the distance from the point of impact to the ground.
cde42003
Can anyone help me with theses problems?

1. A 500 g cart is released from rest 1.0 m from the bottom of a frictionless, 30 ramp. The cart rolls down the ramp and bounces off a rubber block at the bottom. The figure shows the force during the collision.

After the cart bounces, how far does it roll back up the ramp?

On this one I know I need to solve for the velocities before and after the collision and then use this value to get the distance, but I am not sure as to how I need to do this. I don't really know how to get the acceleration.

2. In a military test, a 575 kg unmanned spy plane is traveling north at an altitude of 2700 m and a speed of 450 m/s. It is intercepted by a 1280 kg rocket traveling east at 725 m/s.

If the rocket and the spy plane become enmeshed in a tangled mess, how far from the point of impact do they hit the ground?

This problem really has me puzzled. I tried to use the m1v1 + m2v2= m(1+2)v equation and solve for the magnitude of the velocity but am not sure where to go from there. Let me know where I went wrong. Thanks

Attachments

• knight_Figure_09_30.jpg
    knight_Figure_09_30.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
cde42003 said:
Can anyone help me with theses problems?

1. A 500 g cart is released from rest 1.0 m from the bottom of a frictionless, 30 ramp. The cart rolls down the ramp and bounces off a rubber block at the bottom. The figure shows the force during the collision.

After the cart bounces, how far does it roll back up the ramp?

On this one I know I need to solve for the velocities before and after the collision and then use this value to get the distance, but I am not sure as to how I need to do this. I don't really know how to get the acceleration.

2. In a military test, a 575 kg unmanned spy plane is traveling north at an altitude of 2700 m and a speed of 450 m/s. It is intercepted by a 1280 kg rocket traveling east at 725 m/s.

If the rocket and the spy plane become enmeshed in a tangled mess, how far from the point of impact do they hit the ground?

This problem really has me puzzled. I tried to use the m1v1 + m2v2= m(1+2)v equation and solve for the magnitude of the velocity but am not sure where to go from there. Let me know where I went wrong. Thanks

On the second one, you use the final velocity from the momentum equation and use that as the inital velocity in a projectile motion problem.

On the first one, use a = gsin(theta) to get acceleration along the ramp.

Hopefully these will help you go forward.

Ok so when you use gsin(theta) as the acceleration, and find the velocity before the collision, do you plug this into the equation for an impulse (P2=J+P1)?

On the second one, once you find the magnitude of the velocity you need to use the x and y components of the velocity in the projectile motion equations correct?

Last edited:

1. What is a collision on an incline plane?

A collision on an incline plane refers to a situation where two objects collide while one or both of them are moving on an inclined surface. This adds an additional component of motion (the incline angle) to the collision, making it more complex to analyze.

2. What is a perfectly inelastic collision?

A perfectly inelastic collision is a type of collision in which two objects stick together after colliding and move as one mass. This means that there is no separation between the objects after the collision and their final velocities are the same. In other words, kinetic energy is not conserved in a perfectly inelastic collision.

3. How do you calculate the final velocity of two objects after a collision on an incline plane?

The final velocity of two objects after a collision on an incline plane can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of energy principles. The equations used will depend on the specific situation and the information given in the problem. It is important to carefully consider all the forces acting on the objects and the angle of the incline when solving these types of problems.

4. What is the role of friction in a collision on an incline plane?

Friction plays a crucial role in a collision on an incline plane. It is responsible for the objects' acceleration and deceleration as they move up and down the incline. Friction also affects the final velocities of the objects after the collision. It is important to take into account the friction force and its direction when solving these types of problems.

5. How can mastering physics concepts help us understand real-world collisions?

Mastering physics concepts, such as conservation of momentum and energy, can help us understand and analyze real-world collisions more accurately. These principles are fundamental to understanding the behavior of objects during collisions and can be applied to various scenarios, such as car accidents or sports collisions. By mastering these concepts, we can better predict and prevent potential collisions in our daily lives.