Renormalization of QFT - the counterterms

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of counterterms in the context of renormalization in \phi^{4} theory. It is explained that the first new vertex in the Lagrangian is obtained from treating terms #4 and #5 as perturbations. The general rule for obtaining the vertex factor is also mentioned. It is also mentioned that the full propagator can be built by adding an infinite number of diagrams using a specific identity. The purpose of the conversation is to derive the Feynman rules, rather than employ them.
nikol
I would like to ask if anyone can give me a hand with the understanding of the counterterms. I am reading by myself Chapter 10 of Peskin & Shroeder and got stuck in the middle of their example of how to renormalize [itex]\phi^{4}[/itex] theory. What is puzzling me is how to obtain from the new Lagrangian (equation 10.18):
[itex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)^{2}_{r}-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}_{r}-\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^{4}_{r}+\frac{1}{2}\delta_{Z}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)^{2}_{r}-\frac{1}{2}\delta_{m}\phi^{2}_{r}-\frac{\delta_{\lambda}}{4!}\phi^{4}_{r}[/itex]
the first new vertex (shown on fig.10.3, the single line with the[itex] \otimes[/itex]), equal to:
[itex]i(p^{2}\delta_{Z}-\delta_{m})[/itex]
If you ask me, looking at terms (#4 + #5) in the above Lagrangian, this is a kinetic energy term and I imagine should bring a propagator into the Feynman rules (not a vertex!), that should look something like this:
[itex]\frac{i}{\delta_{Z}p^{2}-\delta_{m}}[/itex])
Obviously I am not right and I would like to clarify what I am missing. Thanks in advance to anyone that tries to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
nikol said:
I would like to ask if anyone can give me a hand with the understanding of the counterterms. I am reading by myself Chapter 10 of Peskin & Shroeder and got stuck in the middle of their example of how to renormalize [itex]\phi^{4}[/itex] theory. What is puzzling me is how to obtain from the new Lagrangian (equation 10.18):
[itex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)^{2}_{r}-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}_{r}-\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^{4}_{r}+\frac{1}{2}\delta_{Z}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)^{2}_{r}-\frac{1}{2}\delta_{m}\phi^{2}_{r}-\frac{\delta_{\lambda}}{4!}\phi^{4}_{r}[/itex]
the first new vertex (shown on fig.10.3, the single line with the[itex] \otimes[/itex]), equal to:
[itex]i(p^{2}\delta_{Z}-\delta_{m})[/itex]
If you ask me, looking at terms (#4 + #5) in the above Lagrangian, this is a kinetic energy term and I imagine should bring a propagator into the Feynman rules (not a vertex!), that should look something like this:
Obviously I am not right and I would like to clarify what I am missing. Thanks in advance to anyone that tries to help.
It's because they're treating #4 and #5 as a perturbation. Note that if you start with the full propagator, [itex]\frac{i}{p^2 + \delta_{Z}p^{2}-m^2 - \delta_{m}}[/itex], the leading term in the perturbation expansion of this is [itex]\frac{i}{p^2-m^2} (\delta_{Z} p^2 - \delta_m)\frac{i}{p^2-m^2} [/itex], which is what the diagram represents.

In general, (A - B)-1 = A-1 + A-1 B A-1 + A-1 B A-1 B A-1 + ...

Last edited:
Another way of looking at what Bill_K write: just as the perturbation ##(\lambda/4!)\phi^4## produces a vertex with 4 incoming lines that has the value ##-i \lambda##, the perturbation ##(\delta_m/2!)\phi^2## produces a vertex with 2 incoming lines that has the value ##-i \delta_m##. The ##\delta_Z## term produces a similar vertex except that the derivatives bring down powers of momentum.

nikol said:
Obviously I am not right and I would like to clarify what I am missing.
No,it is not a kinetic energy term from which you should extract the propagator.These terms represents self interaction type term.You will get propagator only by using the first two terms in the lagrangian which are free field term.You do get the vertex factor from it.You can use the general rule of obtaining the vertex factor by multiplying L by i,substitute the plane wave form for the field operators,then remove all the factors which are already taken care by normalization,external lines etc.The rest is vertex factor.You have to be a bit careful to apply this however.
The second method is to sandwich the interaction term between <0| and |k1k2>,write the[itex] \phi[/itex] as plane wave.Now since only two [itex] \phi[/itex] appears in any term(4th or 5th),you have k1+k2=0,when you evaluate the interaction term sandwiched between <0| and |k1k2>,you also have to include the possible permutation which after differentiation yields 1/2(2(ik1)(ik2z-2δm).
So you have 1/2[(-2k1k2δz)-2δm],use k1=-k2 and multiply the whole term by i(as per the first method).you have i(k2δzm),as required.

Bill_K said:
It's because they're treating #4 and #5 as a perturbation. Note that if you start with the full propagator, [itex]\frac{i}{p^2 + \delta_{Z}p^{2}-m^2 - \delta_{m}}[/itex], the leading term in the perturbation expansion of this is [itex]\frac{i}{p^2-m^2} (\delta_{Z} p^2 - \delta_m)\frac{i}{p^2-m^2} [/itex], which is what the diagram represents.

In general, (A - B)-1 = A-1 + A-1 B A-1 + A-1 B A-1 B A-1 + ...
It is just the other way around.You are supposed to build the full propagator by adding infinity of those diagram using the identity,you just mentioned.

andrien said:
It is just the other way around.You are supposed to build the full propagator by adding infinity of those diagram using the identity,you just mentioned.
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish, doesn't it. In this case we are trying to derive the Feynman rules, not employ them. If you take a look at the page in Peskin and Schroeder that we are discussing, you'll see that they derive the rules by expanding the full propagator.

Bill_K said:
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish, doesn't it. In this case we are trying to derive the Feynman rules, not employ them. If you take a look at the page in Peskin and Schroeder that we are discussing, you'll see that they derive the rules by expanding the full propagator.
I did give a derivation of the rule,but what I see on the page is that they write the lagrangian and write the feynman rules next.It is upto the person to derive them who is reading it.

1. What is renormalization in quantum field theory (QFT)?

Renormalization is a technique used in QFT to remove infinities that arise in calculations of physical quantities. These infinities arise due to the fact that QFT calculations involve integrating over all possible energy values, including infinitely high ones. Renormalization allows us to redefine the parameters in the theory so that these infinities are canceled out, making the calculations physically meaningful.

2. Why is renormalization necessary in QFT?

Renormalization is necessary in QFT because without it, the theory would predict infinite values for physical quantities such as the mass or charge of particles. This is because QFT involves integrating over all possible energy values, including infinitely high ones, which leads to the appearance of infinities in the calculations. Renormalization removes these infinities and allows us to make meaningful predictions.

3. What are counterterms in renormalization?

Counterterms are additional terms that are added to the original QFT equations to cancel out the infinities that arise in the calculations. These counterterms are usually in the form of new parameters that are defined in terms of the original parameters in the theory. By choosing the values of these counterterms appropriately, we can cancel out the infinities and make the calculations finite and physically meaningful.

4. How do counterterms affect the predictions of QFT?

Counterterms do not affect the physical predictions of QFT. They are simply a tool used to remove infinities from the calculations. The physical predictions of QFT are still based on the original parameters of the theory, and the counterterms are chosen in such a way that they do not change the final results of the calculations.

5. Can renormalization be applied to all QFTs?

Yes, renormalization is a general technique that can be applied to all QFTs. However, the specific methods and equations used in renormalization may differ depending on the type of QFT being studied. Additionally, renormalization may be more difficult or complicated for certain QFTs, but it is still possible to apply the technique and remove infinities from the calculations.