Convert Kp to Kc: N2 + O2 <--> 2NO @ 25°C

• Thread starter needphyshelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, at 25°C, there is a equilibrium between NO and O2, with a concentration of 3203.7 molecules per cm3.
needphyshelp

Homework Statement

At 25°C, Kp = 1x10-31 for the reaction below.

N2(g) + O2(g) <--> 2 NO(g)
(a) Calculate the concentration of NO (in molecules/cm3) that can exist in equilibrium in air at 25°C. In air PN2 = 0.8 atm and PO2 = 0.2 atm.

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the partial pressure of NO to be 1.26x10-16 but I do not know how to convert to Kp from this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
needphyshelp said:
I have calculated the partial pressure of NO to be 1.26x10-16 but I do not know how to convert to Kp from this.

Sorry, but it doesn't make sense. Are you trying to convert Kp to Kc, or partial pressure to concentration, or something else?

First of all, you do not need to convert Kp to Kc.
needphyshelp said:
(a) Calculate the concentration of NO (in molecules/cm3) that can exist in equilibrium in air at 25°C.
I have calculated the partial pressure of NO to be 1.26x10-16
The number you have calculated for p(NO) is correct, though you are missing the units. What you need to do is convert partial pressure into molecules per cc.

Hint: Ideal gas equation.

I'm sorry - I am trying to convert partial pressure to concentration.

Using the Ideal gas equation, PV=nRT, do I use n=2, solve for volume, and then convert to molecules per cm^3?

needphyshelp said:
I'm sorry - I am trying to convert partial pressure to concentration.
That's right.

Using the Ideal gas equation, PV=nRT, do I use n=2, solve for volume, and then convert to molecules per cm^3?
No, the stoichiometry doesn't matter anymore.

Hint: You can find the molecules per cc if you first find the moles per unit volume, i.e., n/V

I still am not getting the correct answer. I don't know what I'm missing.

PV=nRT = 1.3E-16(V)=n(.08206)(298) so moles/L = 5.32E-18. I then converted it to moles/cm3 by dividing by 1000, which gave me 5.32E-21 then multiplied by Avogadro's number to get 3203.7 molecules/cm3.

I also tried converting atmospheres to bars and using the gas constant 83.145 so that my answer would be in moles/cm3 and then converting from there, but that was not correct either.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

How do you know it's wrong? It looks good to me.

1. What is the formula for converting Kp to Kc?

The formula for converting Kp to Kc is Kc = Kp(RT)^Δn, where R is the gas constant (0.08206 L atm/mol K), T is the temperature in Kelvin, and Δn is the difference in the number of moles of gaseous products and reactants.

2. How do I calculate the value of Kc from Kp?

To calculate the value of Kc from Kp, you first need to determine the value of Δn for the reaction. Then, plug in the given values for Kp, R, and T into the formula Kc = Kp(RT)^Δn. Make sure to convert the temperature to Kelvin if it is given in Celsius.

3. What is the significance of the temperature being specified as 25°C?

The temperature of 25°C is a standard condition that is often used in chemistry to represent room temperature. It is also the temperature at which the gas constant R is commonly given in units of L atm/mol K.

4. Can Kp and Kc have the same numerical value?

Yes, it is possible for Kp and Kc to have the same numerical value as they both represent equilibrium constants for the same reaction. However, they have different units and are calculated using different variables, so they are not interchangeable.

5. How does the value of Kc change with temperature?

The value of Kc is affected by changes in temperature. In general, the value of Kc increases with an increase in temperature for endothermic reactions, and decreases with an increase in temperature for exothermic reactions. This is because the equilibrium shifts in the direction that absorbs or releases heat in order to maintain a constant temperature.