Do Sleep Machines Emit Delta Waves?

In summary, this Brookstone exclusive, the Tranquil Moments white noise machine works like a dream. It plays sounds based on Delta, Alpha, or Theta brainwaves--coaxing your brain to “match” these frequencies and enter healthier states of repose. Exclusive Sleep Enhancement Technology™ gradually slows playback speed over a 20-minute period to lull you to sleep. Uses AC adapter (included) or four AA batteries (not included).
Anyone use sleep machines? My father is asking one for xmas. Are they really just cd players or is there more to it? For example this Brookstone one I am looking at has claims of delta wave technology. Is that bunk?

A Brookstone exclusive, the Tranquil Moments white noise machine works like a dream! Tranquil Moments sleep sound machines play sounds based on Delta, Alpha, or Theta brainwaves—coaxing your brain to “match” these frequencies and enter healthier states of repose. Choose from 12 relaxing sounds, including a summer chorus of crickets, authentic NASA recordings, and soothing white noise. Exclusive Sleep Enhancement Technology™ gradually slows playback speed over a 20-minute period to lull you to sleep. Uses AC adapter (included) or four AA batteries (not included).

Sleep soundly with our amazing Tranquil Moments® sleep sound machine! Based on more than 23 years of scientific research, our Tranquil Moments sleep therapy system is a natural sleep aid that will help you achieve deeper states of sleep, relaxation and renewal. Our innovative sleep sound machines use five nature soundscapes and seven clinically engineered sounds developed by the Center of Neuroacoustic Research. Just select 30-, 60- or 90-minute auto shut off and lay back for a great night’s sleep.

Physics news on Phys.org
I sometimes found predictable frequency white noise helped me when I was trying to sleep... but I found the dryer worked well enough, so I just always started it before bed. Now this isn't needed... We moved to a better apartment where the kids' room is on the far end away from our room (one of the kids rolls around growling in his sleep... yikes! It was getting to the point where I was going to buy the machine AND send him for a sleep study!) So sorry, can't vouch for the machines... just the idea of white noise!

Buy him a cheap fan, Greg. I keep a fan in my bedroom year-round, as does my niece (her fan-addiction started when she lived in a dorm). White noise, suppression of background noise, and a comforting constancy...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I am also a fan addict. I think it started when I got my own personal computer in my room back in high school. A nice loud, dusty 250W PS running everynight will put you to sleep like a baby.
Then it upgraded to a small fan, then an overhead fan (old one that makes noise).
Now I can't sleep without background noise.

(PS. I now keep my computer in the other room since a 500W power supply running like 8 internal fans and the video card (8600GTS) is like a lawnmower. Thats a little much.)

If you haven't slept with a fan on in your room I suggest you try it. You'll never go back!

As to the OP, maybe its just a similar effect. It may not be the sounds themselves that put you to sleep but rather the continual use over time building up a conditioned response of "sleepy time" whenever you hear it.

Why not just get him a bottle of chloroform?

Also, would he use headphones? Cuz I cannot fall asleep with any sort of accessory like that, even a night guard was a hassle.

this is my sleep machine:
648_pd229927_1.gif

but I've found the white noise of a humidifier has a nice double whammy, in that it also keeps my sinuses damp so they don't get irritated and swell.

Star Trek TOS reruns seem to work well for Tsu.

Hey Greg, get your father one for Christmas, especially if he's hinting at one! Don't get him a fan for Christmas! LOL

I've been using a Norelco version which is pretty cool because it's got this huge on/off button on top which is easy to find in the dark. I just picked up a Brookstone version at Goodwill which is how I found this thread. I'm sitting here listening to it--the ocean surf. It definitely does the trick. It's making me sleepy right now. I let the Norelco go all night every night with the ocean surf rolling by and I swear by it. It not only helps me get to sleep, it helps me stay asleep, which is sometimes more important.

And it's doesn't use as much electricity as a fan. And how often in December do you want a fan going?

As for getting to sleep, nothing does it better than a really boring book. Two or three pages in and I'm out.

Proton, with you on the melatonin.

I used to be able to sleep through anything, but these days I require complete silence and darkness. Background 'white noise' doesn't do it for me. When I design my own home, the bed part of the 'bedroom' will be a separate chamber, soundproofed, with no windows. I've had to crawl out of bed more than once to unplug all the gadgets that have those damned blue LEDs all over them for no reason, and hung towels over the windows to block out streetlights.

On the same note as the fan concept, I use an air filter (because I live in Michigan and don't appreciate fans running when the temperature is already approaching absolute zero). It's a bit more expensive, but the effects on both sleep and the air itself are noticeable after a while.

Last edited:
A number of posts have been deleted. Let's stay on topic please.

We need to stay away from recommendations to use particular medications or drugs.

Ivan Seeking said:
A number of posts have been deleted. Let's stay on topic please.

We need to stay away from recommendations to use particular medications or drugs.

Would a conversation about Michael Jackson's oxygen tent be off-topic?

I leave the TV on all night...program a variety that won't give me nightmares...SERIOUSLY!

I'm not just saying this because I'm a mattress salesman, but if you have trouble sleeping, or are easily woken up by the slightest thing, it might be your mattress.

If your mattress is too hard and doesn't relieve pressure, it causes you to toss and turn at night. When you move at night, this brings you to a lighter stage of sleep, and therefore you will be more likely to wake up. Also, it's harder to get "comfortable" when first trying to go to sleep if there is excessive pressure on your body.

I used to think I was a light sleeper until I got my current mattress. At first, I thought the mattress was too soft, but I sleep all the way through the night, right through some things that would usually wake me up. For example, my roommates apologized for being loud one night, and apparently they were right outside my bedroom door, and I didn't hear a thing. That kind of thing would usually wake me up easily. Also, their son screaming and crying at night only wakes me up about once every other week nowadays... He used to wake me up nearly every night before I got my nice soft mattress.

So, if your mattress is old, springy, or just plain hard, it might be time to upgrade. When you go shopping for a mattress, don't automatically assume you need something "firm" meaning "hard." Get something supportive that still is soft up top to relieve pressure.

If you spend a lot of money on drugs to help you sleep, (or extra-strong coffee to wake you up in the morning,) the mattress may even pay for itself in a few years.

I have a sleep machine, it's my TV. My Toshiba CRT has a shut off feature that let's me set the amount of time to shut off and a few minutes before it shuts off it starts slowly lowering the volume. Pretty cool, it has never woken me up when it shuts off and I'm a light sleeper.

Last edited:
Honestly I have found that a routine and not watching TV, or playing on the computer the best ways to get to sleep.

As to the sleep machines, if a person want to use them b/c they think it will help them sleep then indeed it might. The placebo effect can be quite powerful. If you believe it will relax you and let you get to sleep, there is a decent chance it will.

Stress about not being able to get to sleep is one of the more deadly sleep enemies.

This always worked for me

419BBYKCFRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

1. What are delta waves?

Delta waves are a type of brain wave that occurs during deep sleep and are associated with restorative sleep and memory consolidation.

2. Do sleep machines emit delta waves?

No, sleep machines do not emit delta waves themselves. Instead, they produce sounds or music that are designed to help induce relaxation and promote sleep. Delta waves are naturally produced by the brain during deep sleep.

3. Can sleep machines increase the production of delta waves?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that sleep machines can increase the production of delta waves. However, the sounds or music produced by sleep machines may promote relaxation and aid in falling asleep, which can lead to the natural production of delta waves during deep sleep.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with exposure to delta waves?

No, there are no known risks associated with exposure to delta waves. In fact, they are a natural and important part of the sleep cycle.

5. Can sleep machines improve sleep quality?

There is limited research on the effectiveness of sleep machines in improving sleep quality. Some studies suggest that they may be helpful in promoting relaxation and improving sleep, but more research is needed to confirm these findings.