Conveyor Speed / Distance calculations

In summary, the gap between the products will be 1m if the upstream conveyor speed is 5 m/min and the downstream conveyor speed is 15 m/min.
Paulvp1968
I would like the formulae for calculating the distance created bewteen products transferring from one conveyor to another with a line of products moving at x M/min transferring onto a conveyor running y M/min. I need to be able to calculate what the gap will be between the products as this is critical to the design of the system. Urgent Help required PLEASE!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Paulvp1968 said:
I would like the formulae for calculating the distance created bewteen products transferring

from one conveyor to another with a line of products moving at x M/min transferring onto a conveyor running y M/min. I

need to be able to calculate what the gap will be between the products as this is critical to the design of the system.

Urgent Help required PLEASE!

A very simplified approximation of product gap can be calculated if you assume infinite product acceleration from one conveyor to the other. If you are interested, I will help you find the solution, but I can't just give it to you.

Vx = upstream conveyor speed (m/min)
Vy = downstream conveyor speed (m/min)
L = product length (m)
G = gap between products (m)

Note that the units of the conveyor speed must be the same, and the gap units will be the same as those for the product length. Please use lower case "m" for metre.

Question:
If we assume that the product will accelerate from speed Vx to speed Vy at the instant that the leading edge of the product contacts conveyor y, and both products start fully on conveyor x, how much time will pass before the leading edge of the trailing product will contact conveyor y?

Last edited:
Assume both products are touching on conveyor x and based upon a product width of 1m moving at 5m/min then 12 seconds would be the time elapsed for the leading edge of the trailing product to contact conveyor y

FYI, I just changed the conveyor speed variables names to Vx and Vy.
So the time is obviously the product length divided by upstream speed Vx, or:
t = L/Vx
Jumping ahead, in the same time "t", the leading edge of the leading product will travel
a distance:
D = Vy * t
(Yes, I did just introduce variables t and D, but they are only temporary.)
Making sense?
I'm trying to move this along quickly...
G = ?

So D=2m so if i am understanding this G=D-L = 1m and that G is proportional to the original gap

Yes, G = D - L
Sorry, what was Vy? It must be 15 m/min, although I don't think you mentioned it.
You can either use L = actual product length (assuming no gap) or Leff = effective product length which is equal to product length + initial gap.
Yes, the final gap is proportional to product length (or effective product length).
So what is G in terms for L, Vx and Vy? I thought that was what you wanted.

So if G=D-L and we have the following form the calculations performed above

t= L/Vx = 0.2min

in the same time period "t" the leading edge of the product will move Vy*t to give product D = 10*0.2 = 2m. Therefore with G=D-L then G=2-1 so the gap between the products is 1m.

Calculated in terms for L, Vx and Vy, I can see the following G= Vy/VxL-L am I correct?

Paulvp1968 said:
So if G=D-L and we have the following form the calculations performed above

t= L/Vx = 0.2min

in the same time period "t" the leading edge of the product will move Vy*t to give product D = 10*0.2 = 2m. Therefore with G=D-L then G=2-1 so the gap between the products is 1m.

Calculated in terms for L, Vx and Vy, I can see the following G= Vy/VxL-L am I correct?

Not quite, it should be:
G = L * (Vy / Vx) - L

or more simply:

G = L * [(Vy / Vx) - 1]

To check:
If Vy = Vx, G should be 0.

tvavanasd said:
Sorry, what was Vy? It must be 15 m/min, although I don't think you mentioned it.

Looks like I got D and G mixed up previously when I indicated that Vy = 15 m/min (I was wrong).

Last edited:
Many thanks for your asistance. Much appreciated.

1. How is conveyor speed calculated?

Conveyor speed is typically calculated by dividing the desired distance or length of the conveyor by the time it takes for the product to pass through it. This can be expressed as feet per minute (FPM) or meters per minute (MPM).

2. What factors affect conveyor speed?

The main factors that affect conveyor speed include the length and width of the conveyor, the weight and size of the product being transported, the type and condition of the conveyor belt, and the power and speed of the motor driving the conveyor.

3. How do I determine the distance a product will travel on a conveyor?

The distance a product will travel on a conveyor can be determined by multiplying the conveyor speed by the time it takes for the product to pass through it. This can also be calculated by using the formula: distance = speed x time.

4. What is the formula for calculating conveyor speed?

The formula for calculating conveyor speed is: conveyor speed = distance or length of conveyor / time it takes for product to pass through. This can be expressed as FPM or MPM.

5. How do I increase or decrease conveyor speed?

Conveyor speed can be increased or decreased by adjusting the motor speed, changing the size of the motor or gear ratio, or changing the diameter of the drive pulley. It is important to consult with a conveyor expert or manufacturer before making any changes to ensure safe and efficient operation.