Question re. electroplated gold. Thank you

In summary, electroplating is the process of using an electric current to coat a metal object with a thin layer of another metal, such as gold. Electroplated gold offers benefits such as improving appearance, increasing durability, and preventing corrosion. It differs from solid gold in that it only has a thin layer of gold on the surface and may not be as valuable. The process involves submerging the object in a solution with dissolved gold ions and using an electric current to deposit the gold onto the surface. The lifespan of electroplated gold varies depending on factors such as thickness, base metal quality, and wear and tear, but with proper care, it can last for many years.
lodgezhao
Hello, I have a question for electrodeposition of gold.

So I tried to electroplate gold on a Si wafer with gold seed layer on it. I used SU-8 as my photoresist to form a pattern. But my electroplated gold was black and granular.

Area is 19mm^2 and desired thickness is 50 um. I set the effective current to be 1.9 mA.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Try to reduce current, 100A/m^2 may be too much for electroplating.
2. What kind of electrolite do you use? Normally, it should slightly dissolve gold to remove defects of growing layer.

1. What is electroplating and how is it related to gold?

Electroplating is the process of coating a metal object with a thin layer of another metal through the use of an electric current. In the case of electroplated gold, the object is coated with a thin layer of gold using an electric current.

2. What are the benefits of electroplated gold?

Electroplated gold provides several benefits, such as improving the appearance of the object, increasing its durability, and preventing corrosion. It also allows for the use of less expensive base metals while still achieving a gold-like appearance.

3. How is electroplated gold different from solid gold?

Electroplated gold and solid gold are different in terms of the amount of gold used. Electroplated gold only has a thin layer of gold on the surface, while solid gold is made entirely of gold. This means that electroplated gold is less valuable and may wear off over time.

4. What is the process of electroplating gold?

The process of electroplating gold involves submerging the object to be coated in a solution containing dissolved gold ions. An electric current is then used to attract and deposit the gold ions onto the object's surface, creating a thin layer of gold. The object is then rinsed and polished to achieve a shiny finish.

5. How long does electroplated gold last?

The lifespan of electroplated gold depends on several factors such as the thickness of the gold layer, the quality of the base metal, and the amount of wear and tear the object receives. With proper care, electroplated gold can last for many years, but it may eventually wear off or tarnish over time.