Is It Possible to Generate 5V Output from Piezoelectric Shoe Design?

In summary: This would be good to know if you are interested in generating a lot of current. However, I do not think that this kit would be feasible for charging a phone or anything like that. The current available would be too low.
cullen.johnson
Wondering if anyone has any knowledge on electricity generation from piezoelectrics. I am a senior in high school with electromagnetic physics and basic mechanical engineering classes completed, but I am no electrical engineer, so simplicity is key.

I am looking to design a shoe that generates a 5v output from the harvest and amplification of a piezoelectric actuator/generator. I am really trying to push for the full 5v in order to charge the common cellphone, tablet, iPod, ect...

I can't afford thousands of dollars in materials, but I understand these things get pricey. Any products or information that could help with attaining these specifications would be amazing, but my background in circuit boards and electrical engineering work is very minimal so as simplistic as explanations can be in the subject field would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any information you can offer!

Cullen Johnson

Engineering news on Phys.org
cullen.johnson said:
I am really trying to push for the full 5v in order to charge the common cellphone, tablet, iPod, ect...

I really like this site when it comes to PIEZO SENSORS (GENERATORS).

e.g. This might help.

tech2intropiezotrans15.gif

I suspect that, even if you achieve a 5V output, the available current is going to so little that it won't be useful for charging anything

@dlgoff --- I didn't see anything specifically mentioning current on that site, unfortunately ... would be nice to know what could be expected :smile:

Dave

davenn said:
I suspect that, even if you achieve a 5V output, the available current is going to so little that it won't be useful for charging anything

@dlgoff --- I didn't see anything specifically mentioning current on that site, unfortunately ... would be nice to know what could be expected :smile:

Dave

Well, they sell a PIEZOELECTRIC ENERGY HARVESTING KIT with this spec:

Closed Circuit Current per sinusoidal cycle, at rated deflection. ± 57 (microApeak/Hz)

I can say that it is possible to generate 5V output from a piezoelectric shoe design. Piezoelectric materials can convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, and with proper design and amplification, it is possible to generate a 5V output. However, achieving this output may require some advanced knowledge in electrical engineering and circuit design.

There are several factors to consider when designing a piezoelectric shoe, such as the type and size of the piezoelectric material, the design of the shoe, and the amplification circuit. It is important to carefully select the right materials and components to ensure efficient energy conversion and amplification.

There are also products and information available that can help with designing a piezoelectric shoe for electricity generation. However, as you mentioned, these materials can be expensive. It may be helpful to research and compare different options to find the most cost-effective solution for your project.

In terms of simplicity, there are some basic principles and equations that can guide the design process, but it may be beneficial to consult with an experienced electrical engineer or seek out online resources for more detailed explanations and guidance.

Overall, with determination and proper research, it is definitely possible to design a piezoelectric shoe that can generate a 5V output for charging electronic devices. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a piezoelectric 5V output?

A piezoelectric 5V output refers to a device or material that can generate a 5V electrical signal when pressure or mechanical stress is applied to it. This output is generated due to the piezoelectric effect, which is the ability of certain materials to produce an electric charge in response to mechanical stress.

2. How does a piezoelectric 5V output work?

A piezoelectric 5V output works by utilizing the piezoelectric effect. When pressure or mechanical stress is applied to the material, it causes a displacement of the positive and negative charges within the material, resulting in an electric current being produced.

3. What are some common applications of piezoelectric 5V output?

Piezoelectric 5V outputs have a variety of applications, including pressure sensors, touch screens, microphones, and energy harvesting devices. They are also commonly used in medical devices, such as ultrasound machines, and in musical instruments, such as electric guitars.

4. What are the advantages of using piezoelectric 5V output?

One advantage of using piezoelectric 5V output is that it is a clean and efficient way of generating electricity. It also has a fast response time and is highly sensitive, making it useful in a wide range of applications. Additionally, piezoelectric materials are durable and can withstand harsh environments.

5. Are there any limitations to using piezoelectric 5V output?

One limitation of using piezoelectric 5V output is that it can only produce a small amount of electricity. This means that it is not suitable for high-power applications. Additionally, piezoelectric materials can be expensive and may require precise manufacturing processes, making them less cost-effective for some applications.