Softness of Transition Metals Au, Ag, and Pd

In summary, the softness of gold, silver, and palladium can be attributed to their FCC crystal structure and the filling of their d-orbitals, which allows for easier motion of ionic cores. This is in contrast to harder metals with bcc crystal structure and strong directional bonds due to the overlap of d-orbitals. Relativistic effects can also play a role in the softness of these metals.
HeavyMetal
Is there a direct reason that gold, silver, and palladium are so much softer than the rest of the transition metals? Gold and silver are especially soft. I could not think of any reason myself, or in a quick search of the internet. Everything that I've come up with I've shot down.

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In Copper, Gold, Silver, but also in the Alkali metals, which are all very soft, there is only metallic bonding due to the valence s electrons forming a Fermi fluid. This kind of bonding shows no directional character so that a motion of the ionic cores along some glide planes is easy. In hard and brittle metals like W, Mo, V, Ti and the like, there exist in addition strong directed bonds due to the overlap of d-orbitals. A deformation will have to break these bonds so that there is much more resistance to deformation.

Likes 1 person
The odd thing is that, according to the Brinell hardness of these metals, Pd, Au, and Ag are extraordinarily soft. Au, Ag, and Pd, have values of 25, 24.5, and 37.3 MPa respectively. The next hardest transition metal is manganese with a value of 196 MPa, which is ~8x harder than gold and silver. And even manganese is very soft! Copper is NOT in this list, having a modest value of 874 MPa.

There is something unique about these three metals, and I just can't figure it out!

I'm going to have to go to a better source, I'm starting to find conflicting numbers.

I'm still finding that Ag and Au are pretty much the softest transition metals. I'm thinking relativistic effects are dominating, causing the s-orbitals to shrink, and allowing for the d-orbitals to be less tightly held. What do you guys have to say?

The hardness/softness is somewhat coincident with melting temperature.

http://www.webelements.com/gold/physics.html

It relates to the filling of the d-orbitals, which are nearly complete for Cu, Ag, Au.

I believe these are fcc metals, whereas the harder/stronger metals, like W, Ta are bcc.

Yeah, I guess it makes sense that if they're FCC, they'd shear easier. I was thinking that since Hg has one more 6s electron than Au, it could stabilize the nuclear charge better as well as providing for more contraction due to relativistic effects. This would then allow the remaining 10 d-electrons to be held even looser than in Au, explaining why it is liquid at room temperature.

Yes, these relativistic effects are also important.

1. What is the softness of transition metals Au, Ag, and Pd?

The softness of a metal is a measure of its resistance to deformation or scratching. Gold (Au) and silver (Ag) are considered to be relatively soft metals, while palladium (Pd) is slightly harder.

2. Why are these transition metals considered to be soft?

Gold, silver, and palladium are classified as soft metals because they have low melting points and are easily malleable. This is due to the arrangement of their electrons, which allows for easy movement within the metal's structure.

3. How does the softness of these transition metals affect their properties?

The softness of these metals makes them ideal for use in jewelry and other decorative items, as they can be easily shaped and molded into intricate designs. However, it also means that they are not as strong or durable as harder metals and may be more prone to scratches and dents.

4. Can the softness of these transition metals be changed?

The softness of a metal is a characteristic of its atomic structure and cannot be easily changed. However, alloying these metals with other elements can alter their properties, such as making them harder or more corrosion-resistant.

5. Are there any other factors that contribute to the softness of these transition metals?

In addition to their atomic structure, the size of the metal's atoms also plays a role in its softness. Smaller atoms tend to be harder, while larger atoms are more malleable. This is why gold and silver, which have larger atoms, are softer than other transition metals like iron or titanium.