Announcing QM Course: Study Group for JJ Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter vanesch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course Qm
In summary, a new on-line study group is being announced for the book "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by JJ Sakurai. More information can be found at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/patrick.vanesch/NRQM_main_page.html and those interested in participating can email the organizer, Patrick. The course will be held on the site www.superstringtheory.com, but the discussion forum for the course has not yet been set up by the webmaster, Patricia Schwarz. Some users have reported problems with accessing certain boards on the site.
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

I'd like to announce an on-line study group that will start soon, reading "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by JJ Sakurai. More information can be found here:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/patrick.vanesch/NRQM_main_page.html

people interested in participating can e-mail me.

cheers,
patrick..

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice to see you posting on PF Patrick. As the old denizens here already know, I am DickT, from the old QFT course. Hope to see more of you in the future. And I got your response over at sci.physics.particle, about the new course. Thanks!

This looks great, and MQM by Sakurai is one of my favorite books. The only thing I don't see is a link to the discussion forum for the course. [?]

Hi Tom,

Yes, you're right, that's because the web pages haven't yet been set up. It will happen on the site of:
www.superstringtheory.com
but Patricia Schwarz (who is the webmaster) still has to set up the course pages...

cheers,
Patrick.

Is Patricia still in the loop Patrick? Do you know if she is aware of the problems with the superstingtheory.com site? Several of the boards are unreachable.

1. What is the purpose of the "Announcing QM Course: Study Group for JJ Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics" course?

The purpose of this course is to provide a study group for individuals interested in learning and understanding the concepts of Modern Quantum Mechanics as presented by JJ Sakurai in his textbook.

2. Who is JJ Sakurai and why is his textbook important for studying quantum mechanics?

Jun John Sakurai (1928-1982) was a Japanese-American physicist who made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics. His textbook, "Modern Quantum Mechanics," is considered a classic in the field and is widely used by students and researchers. It presents the fundamentals of quantum mechanics in a clear and concise manner, making it an important resource for studying the subject.

3. Do I need prior knowledge of quantum mechanics to join this study group?

While some basic understanding of physics and mathematics is recommended, this study group is open to all levels of knowledge. The goal is to provide a supportive and collaborative environment for individuals to learn and discuss the concepts of quantum mechanics together.

4. Will this study group cover the entire content of Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics textbook?

The study group will cover most of the important topics and concepts discussed in the textbook, but it may not cover every single chapter or section. The specific topics and pace of the study group will be determined based on the interests and needs of the participants.

5. How can I join the "Announcing QM Course: Study Group for JJ Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics" course?

To join the study group, simply sign up and register for the course through the designated platform. Details and instructions for joining the study group will be provided upon registration.