Max-Min Problem: Finding Max Length Horizontal Bar Around 90 Degree Corner

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculus problem of finding the maximum length of a bar that can be transported horizontally around a 90 degree corner, from a corridor of width a to a corridor of width b. The formula for the length of the bar as a function of the angle it makes with one of the walls is given as L= a/sinx + b/cosx, and the goal is to find the angle that minimizes this length. The final solution is found to be x= arctan(cube root of a/b), and the length of the bar is expressed as (a^2/3 + b^2/3)^3/2. The conversation also addresses the confusion about the sides of the triangle used in
hypermonkey2
Heres an intersting problem i would like to see max-min based solutions for. Fine the maximum length of a bar to be transported horizontally around a 90 degree corner. That is, from a corridor of width a to a corridor of width b.
-----------
--------l l
l l

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a fairly standard calculus problem. Draw the bar just fitting around the corner: a straight line in your picture just touching the inside corner and the two outside walls. Get a fomula for the length of bar as a function the angle it makes with one of the walls. find the angle that minimizes that length. The length at that angle is the maximum length that will fit around the corner.

Let L=a/sinx + b/cosx. Find x for minimum L. x is the angle between the bar (assuming 0 thickness) and the wall on the a side. L is then the length of the bar that will fit.

mathman said:
Let L=a/sinx + b/cosx. Find x for minimum L. x is the angle between the bar (assuming 0 thickness) and the wall on the a side. L is then the length of the bar that will fit.

forgive me, but i don't understand why to let L=a/sinx + b/cosx. shouldn't it be 2L=a/sinx + b/cosx? in either case, i get a min of x= arctan of cube root of (a/b). is this normal? my intuition says that the answer should be sqrt(a^2 + b^2). does this angle provide this answer? if so, how? i still believe there is something i have not caught on to. thanks for your patience.

hypermonkey2 said:
forgive me, but i don't understand why to let L=a/sinx + b/cosx. shouldn't it be 2L=a/sinx + b/cosx?
No, why should it be? Are you thinking that a/sinx+ b/cosx is the length of the bar that is in each corridor and should be doubled because there are two corridors? No, a/sin x is the length of the bar in the corridor of width a and b/sin x is the length of the bar in the corridor of width b. The length of the entire bar is their sum: L= a/sin x+ b/cos x.

in either case, i get a min of x= arctan of cube root of (a/b). is this normal? my intuition says that the answer should be sqrt(a^2 + b^2). does this angle provide this answer? if so, how? i still believe there is something i have not caught on to. thanks for your patience.
Yes, [itex]arctan x= ^3\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}[/itex]

Now, draw a triangle with legs of length a1/3 and b1/3 (so that the tangent of the angle has is (a/b)1/3). Then the hypotenuse has length [itex]\sqrt{a^{2/3}+ b^{2/3}}[/itex] and sin x= [itex]\frac{a^{1/3}}{\sqrt{a^{2/3}+ b^{2/3}}}[/itex] and cos x= [itex]\frac{b^{1/3}}{\sqrt{a^{2/3}+ b^{2/3}}}[/itex].

Then the length of the bar is
[tex]a^{2/3}\sqrt{a^{2/3}+ b^{2/3}}= b^{2/3}\sqrt{a^{2}{3}+ b^{2}{3}}= (a^{2/3}+ b^{2}{3})\sqrt{a^{2/3}+ b^{2/3}}= \left(a^{2/3}+ b^{2/3}\right)^{3/2}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
No, why should it be? Are you thinking that a/sinx+ b/cosx is the length of the bar that is in each corridor and should be doubled because there are two corridors? No, a/sin x is the length of the bar in the corridor of width a and b/sin x is the length of the bar in the corridor of width b. The length of the entire bar is their sum: L= a/sin x+ b/cos x.

Oh, i did find that the length can be expressed as L=a/sinx or L=b/cosx, but i did not see it as two separate parts. so i just added the equations together. I am afraid i don't see what you mean by "length of the bar in the corridor of width a". shouldn't the length stay the same in both corridors? i am still confused. perhaps we are thinking of separate diagrams? thanks

Eureka! i see what you mean now. indeed i was looking at the wrong diagram. i understand what you mean, that's excellent, thank you. however, one comment i might add, is that couldn't we create a triangle with the same tangent value with one side as a, and the other as (ab^2)^1/3 ? doesn't one side have to be the width of the corridor that it is in? (likewise for corridor b). tell me what you think, thanks

The two corridors are of different widths. If you take x to be the angle the bar makes with the wall in hall of width a, you have a triangle with one side of length a and hypotenuse of length L1, the length of the portion of the bar that is in that hall: sin(x)= a/L1 so L1= a/sin(x). The angle the wall makes with the wall in the other corridor is the complement of x so sin of that angle is cos(x). Letting L2 be the length of the portion of the bar in that angle we have, by the same argument L2= b/cos(x). The full length of the bar is a/sin(x)+ b/cos(x)

however, one comment i might add, is that couldn't we create a triangle with the same tangent value with one side as a, and the other as (ab^2)^1/3 ? doesn't one side have to be the width of the corridor that it is in? (likewise for corridor b).
It's not clear to me where you got (ab^2)^(1/3).

well, we know that tanx= cube root (a/b). however, the problem implies that one side of the triangle must be a (the width of the corridor). thus, the only way to get this tangent value is if the other adjacent side of the right triangle is what i gave you in the last post (work it out, it is the same as cube root of a/b). my conflict was with your claim that the sides of the triangle must be a^1/3 and b^1/3. it could be that i just did not understand what you meant. but i think that in eah triangle, one side must be a or b no? (depending on which corridor you are in) thanks

This has been bugging me

Can somebody help me. This problem (max of L=a/sinx + b/cos x) has been bugging me for about a year. I knew how to do it 25 years ago and it seemed to involve using tanx/2 substitutions and the tan half angle formula for cot. Why is the max of a/sin x+ b/cos x when cot x = cube root of a/b?

Thanks in Advance

studentt said:
Can somebody help me. This problem (max of L=a/sinx + b/cos x) has been bugging me for about a year. I knew how to do it 25 years ago and it seemed to involve using tanx/2 substitutions and the tan half angle formula for cot. Why is the max of a/sin x+ b/cos x when cot x = cube root of a/b?

Thanks in Advance

Take the derivative of L with respect to x and set it equal to 0. You then get:

acosx/sin2x=bsinx/cos2x

which leads to tanx=(a/b)1/3

I think a certain issue of the journal of the American Mathematical Society in 1993 discusses a variation of this problem where the bar's or rod's width or diameter is taken into account, sorry I couldn't give a more precise issue identification, but you might want to look into that.

studentt said:

Thanks in Advance

Write f(x)= a (sin x)-1+ b(cos x)-1

Then f'(x)= -a (sin x)-2cos(x)+ b (cos x)-2(sin x)
Setting that equal to 0 we get
[tex]\frac{a cos x}{sin^2 x}= \frac{b sin x}{cos^2 x}[/tex]
dividing both sides by a sin x and multiplying both sides by cos2 x gives
[tex]\frac{cos^3 x}{sin^3 x}= cot^3 x= \frac{b}{a}[/tex]
then
[tex] cot x= ^3\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}}[/tex]

Thanks for your postings. I'm amazed at how much of pickle my teenage children's homework has gotton me into. Still, it has revitalized my interest in mathematics.

1. What is a Max-Min problem?

A Max-Min problem is a type of optimization problem where the goal is to find the highest maximum or lowest minimum value of a given function. In other words, it involves finding the best possible outcome among a set of possible solutions.

2. How is the Max-Min problem related to finding the max length horizontal bar around a 90 degree corner?

In this specific scenario, the Max-Min problem involves finding the longest possible horizontal bar that can fit around a 90 degree corner. This can be thought of as an optimization problem because the goal is to find the maximum length (or minimum length, depending on the specific question) that satisfies the given conditions.

3. What is the importance of solving the Max-Min problem in this context?

In engineering and architecture, finding the maximum or minimum values of certain dimensions or measurements is crucial in order to ensure the structural integrity and functionality of a design. In the case of the Max-Min problem of finding the max length horizontal bar around a 90 degree corner, it helps determine the maximum amount of space that can be utilized for a support beam or other structural element.

4. What are some common methods used to solve the Max-Min problem?

Some common methods used to solve the Max-Min problem include calculus techniques such as finding derivatives and setting them equal to zero, using optimization algorithms, and using mathematical models to represent the problem and find the optimal solution.

5. Can the Max-Min problem be applied to other real-world situations?

Yes, the Max-Min problem can be applied to various real-world situations where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a given function. This can include finding the most efficient route for a delivery truck, determining the optimal amount of resources to use in a production process, or finding the maximum profit for a business with certain constraints.