Friction Concept: Understand Dynamics & Calculate Back Velocity

In summary, my professor said that if we need to move with contact with respect to an object (like when someone jumps off a platform), friction is essential. I don't understand the dynamics behind it, but I think it has to do with the force being applied in two opposite directions.
vaishakh
Please someone of you help me in this concept.
My Prof told us that if we need to move with contact with respect to an object, then friction is essential. I cannot think the dynamics behind it. There was a question was like somone jumped from a platform and we had to clculat the back velocity of the platform due to the impulsive force of the man jumped. While explaining this he said thatfriction is essential forthe manto jump. I don't understand the basis behind this.

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to jump forward, we have to be able to push backward on the ground. If the ground is flat, the only way we can apply a force compnant that is horizontal to that surface is through the frictional force. Simply put, we can not walk without friction since to walk we must pushe the ground backwards in order for the ground to push us forward.

I mean if we exert force forward in a frictionless plane then we must move forward since our motion forward is not restricted. The case is different when there is friction as we exert force backward to move forward. I also know that external force is reqd to move a body. But human body can do such a thing as I think due to the complexity of structure of huan body.

An external force is needed if the object cannot do itself: a car on ice will just just spin its wheels without sufficient friction so it must be pushed in order to move. No external force is necessary if the object itself can exert it: a car on pavement can apply the force through its tires so it does not need a push. The force does not have to be external when you have friction.

Orefa said:
No external force is necessary if the object itself can exert it: a car on pavement can apply the force through its tires so it does not need a push. The force does not have to be external when you have friction.
Just to be clear: The friction force acting on the tires is an external force; the road is pushing on the car.

Doc Al said:
Just to be clear: The friction force acting on the tires is an external force; the road is pushing on the car.
Hmmm, the road and the car are pushing against each other since one force does not exist without its equal and opposite force. But since the road is not the one with the engine, isn't it more correct to say that the origin of the force is the car rather than the road?

I know what you mean, but the point to be clear about is that the car will not be able to start moving without an external force. For example, keep the engine but put the car on oil-covered ice: No friction, no acceleration.

Of course, in order to have the tires push against the road in the first place, you need an engine. But the direct external force is supplied by the road, not the engine.

PS: That friction force (if the tires don't slip) does no work on the car; the source of the car's increasing kinetic energy is the engine converting chemical energy into mechanical energy.

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
the point to be clear about is that the car will not be able to start moving without an external force.
So all accelerating forces can be called "external" to the accelerating body, which makes the adjective redundant, sure.

Since the OP used the term, I think he is interested in the source of the force. And for completeness, you might comment on his mention of "the complexity of structure of human body" to clarify that this is not so relevant here, we are dealing with a more common principle.

vaishakh said:
I mean if we exert force forward in a frictionless plane then we must move forward since our motion forward is not restricted. The case is different when there is friction as we exert force backward to move forward. I also know that external force is reqd to move a body. But human body can do such a thing as I think due to the complexity of structure of huan body.
An external force is always required to produce an acceleration of the center of mass of a body. And an external force requires an external object to supply the force: something outside the body. You cannot just "start moving" by performing some gymnastic contortion, if there's no friction (or surface to push off of). (Unless you throw something, in which case the thrown object provides the external force. :wink: )

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. This force acts in the opposite direction to the direction of motion and is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either slow down or completely stop the motion of an object. It also causes objects to heat up due to the energy being converted into heat. Friction can also be useful in certain situations, such as creating traction for vehicles or allowing us to grip objects with our hands.

3. How is friction calculated?

The amount of friction between two surfaces depends on the types of surfaces and the force pushing them together. To calculate friction, we use the equation F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction (determined by the types of surfaces), and N is the normal force (equal to the weight of the object).

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion of an object that is not moving yet, while kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object that is already in motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than kinetic friction, meaning it takes more force to overcome static friction and start the object moving.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by making the surfaces smoother, using lubricants, or reducing the force pushing the surfaces together. For example, a car's engine uses lubricants to reduce friction between its moving parts and thus increase efficiency. Additionally, using wheels or rollers can also reduce friction by allowing objects to roll instead of sliding along a surface.