Model that demonstrates conservation of mechanical energy

In summary, the conversation is about a physics project involving conservation of mechanical energy. The participants are discussing different models that could be used to demonstrate this concept, such as a balance ball, pendulum, spring and ball, and roller coaster. They also mention the restrictions on the models and the need for simplicity in using everyday materials for the project.
furia
My physics class is currently invovled with a project regarding conservation of mechanical energy.

I will need to choose or create a model that will demonstrate conservation of mechanical energy, then analyze the model and explain it.

Does anyone know of any model that can be made easily and can demonstrate conservation of mechanical energy in a simple way, such as the balance ball, or pendulum.
( The balance ball and pendulum are restricted models of this project)

Physics news on Phys.org
How about a spring and a ball?

Or maybe those cool toys with several metal balls suspended on V-strings all lined up and touching, where you pull one out at one end and let go, and when it hits it knocks out the ball on the other end out to the same max height? Those are fun, and may be different enough from a standard 1-ball pendulum that your instructor will allow it.

spring and ball, please go in abit further on that. the balls on v string is also known as the balance ball, so i can't use that

By spring and ball, I think Pseudo means a mass on the end of a spring. If you can't use the balance ball, how about a roller coaster? Once you get towed to the top of the first big hill, it's all PE<-->KE from there on down. Maybe even add in some of the upside-down corkscrew sections...

maybe something like that, not too complicated or i won't be able to make it out of normal house stuff

1. What is the Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy?

The Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy states that in a closed system, mechanical energy remains constant and is not created or destroyed, but rather transforms from one form to another.

2. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of potential energy and kinetic energy in a system. Potential energy is stored energy due to an object's position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy of motion.

3. How does a model demonstrate conservation of mechanical energy?

A model can demonstrate conservation of mechanical energy by showing the transformation of energy from potential to kinetic and vice versa, without any energy being lost or gained in the process.

4. Can you give an example of a model that demonstrates conservation of mechanical energy?

One example is a roller coaster. As the cart moves up the track, its potential energy increases, and as it goes down the track, its potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. The total mechanical energy remains constant throughout the ride.

5. Why is the conservation of mechanical energy important?

The conservation of mechanical energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in a closed system. It also demonstrates the fundamental principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed.