Electric Potential: Finding Points of Zero Potential Along X Axis

In summary, In this problem, you need to find the Electric Potential (V) at a specific location by using the distance between the charges (r) and solving for x. You know the potential is positive near a positive charge and negative near a negative charge, so you just have to find the point where the V equals 0.
brad sue
Hi,

I have this problem:

Two charges are placed along the x axis; 3 C at 14 cm, and -4C at 15cm. Find those points along x-axis where the potetial is zero.

I don't know how to start here. Please can I have some help.
I have the same problem with 4 charge in a plane. Is the procedure the same as this one?
But I need to understand this one first.

Thankx

Physics news on Phys.org
The First problem:
First of all, you know that it has to be either to the right of -4C, to the left of 3C, or in the middle.
You know the distance between the charges (I'll call it d). So if a point is x distance from the first charge (3) it is x+d distance from the second one if the point is to the left of 3C, x-d if it is to the right of 4C, and d-x if it's in the middle. Now for each of those cases you can make an equation were the potential of one charge equals the the potential of the other were for the distances (r) you use the pair of distances that go with that case ((x,x+d),...). In each of the cases you solve for x.

So you just have to find an x were the forces of each charge are equal.

Brad Sue - you're finding where Electric Potential V = 0 , right? (Not Force).
V is positive very near a positive charge, and is negative very near a negative charge. Far enough away from them both, the "measurer" only sees the total charge, so potential should be negative far away (tending to 0 as 1/x).
I would sketch this function along the x-axis in 6 regions: near
13.8, 14.2; 14.8, 15.2; 0, 25 ; connect the dots to see zero-crossings.

Contributions to the Electric Potential (at a location) by each charge add,
kQ/r , where r is the distance from the source charge to that location
(as explained by Daniel)

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electrical energy that a point in space can hold. It is defined as the work done per unit charge to bring a positive test charge from infinity to that point.

2. How do you calculate electric potential?

Electric potential can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the point of interest to the source of the electric field.

3. What is the significance of finding points of zero potential along the X axis?

Finding points of zero potential along the X axis is important because it allows us to identify regions of space where there is no electric field. This can help in understanding the behavior of charged particles in that region.

4. How can you find points of zero potential along the X axis?

To find points of zero potential along the X axis, we can use the equation V = kQ/r and set it equal to zero. This will give us the distance from the point of interest to the source of the electric field.

5. Can there be more than one point of zero potential along the X axis?

Yes, there can be multiple points of zero potential along the X axis. This occurs when the electric field is symmetrical and the distance from the point of interest to the source of the electric field is the same for multiple points.