Best Video Card Under $100 for Modern Games

In summary, the GeForce 6600 GT is a good budget video card that can run most modern games at minimum details.
Captain Zappo
Hi everyone. I need a new video card. I'm currently running on a 64mb Geforce 4 MX 440. I know, it's archaic, but come on, I'm 18 and on a serious budget. So my question is this: what's a great budget video card that will match up with the demands of some of the modern games (call of duty 2 in particular).

My budget is around $100.

Thanks in advance,
-Zach

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can enjoy Call of duty 2 with a Radeon 9200.
.http://callofduty.filefront.com/news/Call_of_Duty_2_System_Requirements;19792 [Broken]

You can get the 9200 for under $100.
http://ati.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=5/popup3%5B%5D=120:371

The GeForce FX 5500 may also be able to run it.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...Q?skuId=7049785&type=product&id=1108124982738

EDIT: Best Buy has video memory for CoD2 listed as 64MB.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7334627&type=product&tab=4&id=1118845328567

If you want to change video cards, Radeon 9200 looks pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get the 256 MB version of the FX 5500 from newegg.com for about $80 (its what I'm running currently).

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind it used or whatever try E-bay

I'm using a 6600 as a budget video card. I would actually get the 6600GT if I were you. They're pretty cheap for the most part and can be used in SLI mode.

If you do not have an SLI capable motherboard, it's still a good card overall. It's a little bit over your budget but Newegg has a refurbished PNY Geforce 6600 right now (4/15/06) for 100 dollars if you want to stay close to your budget.

You can check Pricewatch for more information on the lowest prices.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing the best video card under $100 for modern games?

When choosing a video card, you should consider the card's performance, compatibility, and price. Look for a card with a high clock speed and plenty of memory to ensure smooth gameplay. It's also important to check if the card is compatible with your computer's hardware and software. Lastly, make sure the price fits within your budget.

2. Can I play the latest games with a video card under $100?

While a video card under $100 may not be able to handle the most demanding games on the highest settings, it can still run many modern games on lower settings. It's important to check the minimum and recommended system requirements for the games you want to play and compare them to the specifications of the video card you are considering.

3. Is it better to go for a budget video card or save up for a more expensive one?

This depends on your priorities and budget. A budget video card may be a good option if you are on a tight budget or only play less demanding games. However, if you want to play the latest and most demanding games on high settings, it may be worth saving up for a more expensive, high-performance video card.

4. Are there any specific brands or models I should look for in a video card under $100?

There are many reputable brands that offer budget-friendly video cards, such as NVIDIA and AMD. It's also important to look at specific models and compare their specifications and performance reviews. Some popular options for video cards under $100 include the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 and AMD Radeon RX 560.

5. How do I know if a video card under $100 is compatible with my computer?

To ensure compatibility, you should check the specifications of your computer's motherboard, power supply, and available PCIe slots. Most budget video cards will be compatible with a wide range of systems, but it's always recommended to double-check before making a purchase.