In class final for a graduate EM class?

In summary, the conversation discusses the educational value of a final exam in a class that uses Jackson as a textbook. One person questions the value of the exam and shares their experience of working on problems from Jackson. Another person mentions that the professor caught several students cheating on a specific problem and instead of reporting it, didn't grade the problem for those students. The conversation then shifts to discussing the difficulty and length of the exam and whether it was helpful for those who have taken it before. One person shares their experience of taking an exam for a similar course and rates the value of this type of exam as average. The conversation ends with a discussion about cheating and the consequences of copying solutions.
ptabor
I question the educational value of such an exam. We've been working out of Jackson this year, and based upon my experience the typical jackson problem (just one) takes at least two hours, even if you know what you're doing and make minimal mistakes (ie dropping signs, forgetting terms in your algebra).

The professor hasn't done it before, but this year he caught several students (maybe 3 out of 7) cheating (on problem 5.26 - the prof has yet to work out the quoted solution). No, I was not one of them. I made a completely boneheaded mistake (calculated the integral of B*B between the two wires, as opposed to over all space). Instead of reporting the problem to the dept. chair he simply didn't grade the problem for those students (they got a score out of 30, the rest of us out of 40).

In any event, I'll quit ranting. To get to my original point, for those who have had to take an in class final for Jackson, was this educational for you at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did they cheat?

In fourth year, I took two 1-semester courses that had Jackson as text and assignment source. The final exams were four hours long, and the exam problems were somewhat less difficult than Jackson problems.

I would rate the value of this type of exam as about the same as most exams.

from what I understand, they copied from a posted solution, verbatim.

Personally, I think it's one thing to check a solution to see if you're on the right track. But to copy something is wrong.

ptabor said:
from what I understand, they copied from a posted solution, verbatim.

Personally, I think it's one thing to check a solution to see if you're on the right track. But to copy something is wrong.
And to think they could get away with it, in a class of seven people? If any two people in a class that small do a hard problem with exactly the same work and with the same writing, it should be pretty obvious that the professor is going to catch it.

1. What topics will be covered on the final exam?

The final exam for a graduate EM class will cover all the topics discussed throughout the semester, including electromagnetic theory, Maxwell's equations, and their applications in different fields.

2. Will the final exam be open book or closed book?

This will depend on the specific instructions provided by the professor. It is best to clarify this with your professor beforehand to ensure you are prepared for the exam.

3. How should I prepare for the final exam?

To prepare for the final exam, it is important to review all the material covered in class, including lectures, notes, and assigned readings. Practice problems and previous exams can also be helpful in preparing for the final exam.

4. Will there be any calculations or problem-solving on the final exam?

As EM is a highly mathematical subject, it is likely that the final exam will include calculations and problem-solving questions. It is important to practice these types of questions to ensure you are prepared for the exam.

5. How much time will be given for the final exam?

The amount of time given for the final exam will vary depending on the professor and the length of the exam. Usually, 2-3 hours are allotted for an in-class final for a graduate EM class. It is important to manage your time effectively during the exam to ensure you have enough time to answer all the questions.