What is the pressure at the point where the pipe's diameter is 10cm?

In summary: AZING JOB! You have correctly calculated the pressure at the point where the pipe's diameter is 10cm using the continuity equation and Bernoulli's equation.
laminar
There is a pipe whose diameter narrows smoothly from 10cm to 5.0cm. The pressure at where this pipe's diameter is 5cm is 50kPa. Given water's density of 1000kg/m^3, and a flow rate of 5.0L/s, what is the pressure at the point where the pipe's diameter is 10cm?

First the continuity equation:

Q=Av

0.005L/s=[pi(0.05/2)^2]v

v=2.546m/s

Then, Bernoulli's equation:

Substitute v1 for A2v2/A1

P1=50000+(.5)(1000)(2.564^2-[(pi*.05^2)(2.564)/(pi*.1^2)])

I left the potential energy out of the equation because it is negligible givien the number of significant figures we have. Even though I did the calculation with adding potential energy it is still wrong.

So I got 79993Pa. I know it is very wrong but I cannot check it since I don't have the answers. Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
laminar said:
There is a pipe whose diameter narrows smoothly from 10cm to 5.0cm. The pressure at where this pipe's diameter is 5cm is 50kPa. Given water's density of 1000kg/m^3, and a flow rate of 5.0L/s, what is the pressure at the point where the pipe's diameter is 10cm?

First the continuity equation:

Q=Av

0.005L/s=[pi(0.05/2)^2]v

v=2.546m/s

Then, Bernoulli's equation:

Substitute v1 for A2v2/A1

P1=50000+(.5)(1000)(2.564^2-[(pi*.05^2)(2.564)/(pi*.1^2)])

I left the potential energy out of the equation because it is negligible givien the number of significant figures we have. Even though I did the calculation with adding potential energy it is still wrong.

So I got 79993Pa. I know it is very wrong but I cannot check it since I don't have the answers. Any help please?
Your approach is difficult to follow because you are plugging in numbers too soon. You have made a simple arithmetic error. I am not sure what you did. The second 2.564 should be squared but that does not explain the error.

Do the analysis first then plug in the numbers at the end.

You appear to be using Bernoulli's equation (ignoring gravitational potential):

(1) [tex]P_1 + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2 = P_2 + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2[/tex]

and:

(2) [tex]v_1A_1 = \frac{dV}{dt} = v_2A_2[/tex]

so: [itex]v_2 = v_1A_1/A_2[/itex]

and from (1) then:

[tex]P_2 = P_1 + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2 - \frac{1}{2}\rho \frac{v_1^2A_1^2}{A_2^2} = P_1 - \frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2\left(1-\frac{A_1^2}{A_2^2}\right)[/tex]

So far, this is what you have done. Now plug in your numbers:

[tex]P_2 = 50000 + .5 * 1000 * 2.546^2(1-.25) = 50000 + 2400 = 52,400 \text{kPa}[/tex]

AM

Last edited:

I would recommend double checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it is important to consider the assumptions made in the application of Bernoulli's equation, such as the fluid being incompressible and the flow being steady and along a streamline. Any discrepancies in the results could also be due to experimental error or limitations in the model used. It may be helpful to consult with a colleague or conduct further research to verify the accuracy of your calculations.

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the amount of force applied per unit area. In other words, it is the force exerted on a surface divided by the area of that surface.

2. How is pressure measured?

Pressure can be measured using various units such as pounds per square inch (psi), pascals (Pa), or atmospheres (atm). It is typically measured using a pressure gauge or sensor.

3. What is flow rate?

Flow rate is the volume of a fluid that passes through a given point in a specified amount of time. It is usually measured in units of volume per unit time, such as liters per second or cubic feet per minute.

4. How is flow rate related to pressure?

According to Bernoulli's principle, as the pressure of a fluid increases, its flow rate decreases. This means that a higher pressure gradient results in a higher flow rate.

5. How can pressure and flow rates be controlled?

Pressure and flow rates can be controlled using valves, pumps, and other devices that regulate the flow of fluids. Changes in pressure and flow rates can also be achieved by altering the size and shape of pipes and other components in a fluid system.