Help with Fibonacci Identity

• Thread starter ramsey2879
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary: F_{2n+2}^{2}In summary, we can prove that F_{4n+3} + F_{4n+6} = F_{2n+1}^2 + F_{2n+4}^2 by using the general formula for the nth Fibonacci number and math induction. There is also an identity that can be used for this proof, which is F_{i}*F_{j} + F_{i+1}*F_{j+1} = F_{?}. By setting i = j = 2n+1, we can derive the desired identity and prove it using the previous equations.
ramsey2879
Can someone guide me on how to prove that
[tex]F_{4n+3} + F_{4n+6} = F_{2n+1}^2 + F_{2n+4}^2[/tex]

either side of the above is the difference

[tex](F_{2n+2}*F_{2n+3} + F_{2n+4}^2) - (F_{2n}*F_{2n+1} + F_{2n+2}^2)[/tex]

I intend to post this sequence [tex]F_{2n}*F_{2n+1} + F_{2n+2}^2[/tex], with a comment re a few properties thereof, on Sloane's online encyclopedia of integer sequences but would like to verify the above identity first.

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing springs to mind is to try use general formula for nth
Fibbonacci number:

[tex]F_{n}=\frac{\phi^n-(1-\phi)^n}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex]

In order to proceed with math induction.But I'm unsure will it work or not.
I'm sure there are better methods ,though.

Last edited:
tehno said:
First thing springs to mind is to try use general formula for nth
Fibbonacci number:

[tex]F_{n}=\frac{\phi^n-(1-\phi)^n}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex]

In order to proceed with math induction.But I'm unsure will it work or not.
I'm sure there are better methods ,though.

Thanks
I think there is an identity for the following that works:

[tex]F_{i}*F_{j} + F_{i+1}*F_{j+1} = F_{?}[/tex]

Let j = i = 2n+1 then

[tex]F_{2n+1}^{2} + F_{2n+2}^{2} = F_{4n+3} [/tex]
[Tex]F_{2n+2}^{2} + F_{2n+3}^{2} = F_{4n+5}[/tex]
[Tex]F_{2n+2}^{3} + F_{2n+4)^{2} = F_{4n+7}[/tex]
\\
[Tex]F_{4n+3} +F_{4n+6} = F_{4n+3} + F_{4n+7} - F_{4n+5}[/tex]
[Tex] =F_{2n+1}^{2} + F_{2n+4}^{2}[/tex]

Last edited:

What is the Fibonacci Identity?

The Fibonacci Identity is a mathematical formula that relates to the Fibonacci sequence, a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1.

What is the significance of the Fibonacci Identity?

The Fibonacci Identity has many applications in mathematics, including in number theory, combinatorics, and algebra. It is also commonly seen in nature, such as in the branching of trees and the arrangement of seeds in a sunflower.

How do you use the Fibonacci Identity?

To use the Fibonacci Identity, you can plug in values for n (the term in the Fibonacci sequence) and k (the number of terms to be summed). Then, you can simplify the expression using basic algebraic techniques to find the desired value.

What are some examples of the Fibonacci Identity in action?

One example of the Fibonacci Identity in action is in the calculation of the golden ratio, which is approximately 1.6180339. This ratio is found by dividing the nth term of the Fibonacci sequence by the (n-1)th term, as n approaches infinity.

Another example is in the calculation of the number of ways to tile a rectangle with squares of two different sizes, where the side lengths are consecutive Fibonacci numbers. This is known as the Fibonacci tiling problem.

What are some common mistakes when using the Fibonacci Identity?

One common mistake when using the Fibonacci Identity is not understanding the difference between n and k. n represents the term in the Fibonacci sequence, while k represents the number of terms to be summed. Mixing these up can lead to incorrect results.

Another mistake is not using the correct form of the Fibonacci Identity for the given problem. There are multiple variations of the formula, so it is important to use the one that applies to the specific situation.