Self Teaching High School Math Analysis(pre calculus)

In summary, Gerry is self teaching himself pre calculus in hopes of getting an A in AP Calculus BC his Junior year. He is up for any challenge, but wants to know what he is getting himself into.
GerryC.
This year I am a sophomore in High School taking Algebra II. Since I got a B this year in honors English, I decided to self teach myself Precalcus(Math Analysis) with the hopes of taking AP Calculus BC my Junior year. I want to impress the colleges,chiefly The Wharton School of Finance, with my mathematical ability. First, is this conceivable(I got all A's in Algebra II)? Second, how truly difficult is Calculus BC? I am up for any challenge, but I would like to know what I would be getting myself into.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Gerry

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I am sorry i don't quite catch how getting a B in english relates, but w/e. Go for it I skipped the first half of Math analysis, and its not that hard, and its definately do-able, maybe try and find a senior at your school that could help you, if they tutor you it would be relatively cheap, and they are fairly fresh with the material. Go for it, and have fun in BC next year, hopefully ill be in that class as well

Well, I am hoping that taking a AP Calculus BC as a Junior and getting an A will offset the effects of a B in English on my College transcript.

i don't think a b looks that bad, what was the number grade, because if it doesn't hurt your gpa too much then it doesn't matter

Well it will probably be around 83-86. However, in my school anything from an 83 to a 86.99 is weighed the same as far as GPA goes. Everything else is an A though. It probably won't affect my GPA all that much, but I suspect I won't ever get an A in English throughout High School if I have the same teacher. I want my transcript to have the "wow" factor. Hopefully, an A in AP Calculus BC as a Junior can supply that. Thanks for you input.

Gerry

o wow an 87 is an A for you guys? where are you goin? where I am at a 92 is the highest B

Well not quite. An 87-89.99 is a B+ which is weighted higher than a B. 90-92.99 is an A- , 93-96.99 is an A, and 97+ is an A+

ok i got a little confused because I am used to A, B, C grading, no in betweens or plus & minuses

If you get on it you can teach yourself pre calculus pretty quickly.

Anyone receiving a solicitation via PM needs to report it to a mentor.

1. What is "Self Teaching High School Math Analysis (pre calculus)"?

"Self Teaching High School Math Analysis" is an approach to learning pre-calculus that involves studying the material independently, without the guidance of a teacher or formal classroom setting. This can be done through textbooks, online resources, or other study materials.

2. Is it possible to effectively learn pre-calculus through self-teaching?

Yes, it is possible to effectively learn pre-calculus through self-teaching. However, it requires a high level of self-discipline, motivation, and dedication to the material. It is also important to ensure that you have access to comprehensive and reliable study materials.

3. How much time should I dedicate to self-teaching pre-calculus?

The amount of time needed to self-teach pre-calculus varies for each individual, as it depends on factors such as your prior knowledge and learning pace. It is recommended to set aside a consistent and dedicated study schedule, and to allocate more time for difficult or challenging concepts.

4. Can I self-teach pre-calculus if I have no prior math background?

While having prior math knowledge can be helpful, it is not necessary to successfully self-teach pre-calculus. However, it is important to be willing to put in extra time and effort to fully understand the fundamental concepts before moving on to more advanced material.

5. Are there any resources or tips for self-teaching pre-calculus?

There are many resources available for self-teaching pre-calculus, such as textbooks, online tutorials and videos, and practice problems. It can also be helpful to join online study groups or forums to connect with others who are also self-teaching the subject. It is also important to regularly review and practice the material to ensure understanding and retention.