Fluid Mechanics: Flow Between Parallel Plates-Force Balance Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of force balance equations in solving a fluid mechanics problem between parallel plates. The professor's lecture includes a similar example of a cylindrical fluid element and its force balance equation, but the student is confused about the infinite plates and how to calculate the area of the fluid element. The student is seeking clarification on how to use the force balance equation in this scenario.
Romulus3
Fluid Mechanics: Flow Between Parallel Plates--Force Balance Equation

Homework Statement

http://antishift.org/image.php?id=16807&size=full

Homework Equations

I know the equation for shear, tau=viscosity*velocity gradient. and pressure is obviously force/area.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this problem using navier-stokes equations, and using the assumptions given in the problem. however, the homework graders wrote to use force-balance equations instead, as stated in the problem. ><;;

The professor went over a similar example of a cylindrical fluid element, where the area factor was simply pi*r^2. however, I'm confused by the plates being infinite, so i can't seem to figure what the area is. how do i calculate the area of the fluid element? is it simply dy*dx? how is the pressure/pressure gradient affect being that the plates are infinite? I just need to know what the force balance equation looks like.

Here's a picture of my professor's lecture slide about the cylindrical fluid element and its force balance equation: http://antishift.org/image.php?id=16802&size=medium"

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The links to the question being broken, it is impossible to comment.

• Wow
Likes Delta2

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids and their behavior when they are in motion. It involves the application of mathematical equations and principles to understand the flow of fluids and the forces that act upon them.

2. What is flow between parallel plates?

Flow between parallel plates refers to the motion of a fluid between two flat plates that are parallel to each other. This type of flow is often used as a simplified model to study more complex fluid flow problems. It is characterized by the fluid moving in a straight path with a constant velocity.

3. What is the force balance equation in fluid mechanics?

The force balance equation, also known as the Navier-Stokes equation, is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between the pressure, velocity, and viscosity of a fluid. It is used to calculate the forces acting on a fluid due to its motion, and it is essential in understanding the behavior of fluids in various applications.

4. How is the force balance equation applied to flow between parallel plates?

In the case of flow between parallel plates, the force balance equation is used to calculate the shear stress on the fluid, which is the force per unit area acting parallel to the direction of flow. This shear stress is determined by the velocity of the fluid, the distance between the plates, and the viscosity of the fluid. The force balance equation is then used to determine the overall force acting on the fluid between the plates.

5. What are some practical applications of studying flow between parallel plates?

Studying flow between parallel plates has various practical applications, including the design of lubrication systems, heat exchangers, and microfluidic devices. It also helps in understanding the flow of blood in arteries and the movement of air in ventilation systems. Additionally, the analysis of flow between parallel plates can provide insights into the behavior of more complex fluid flow problems, such as flow through pipes and around objects.