Anyone know how to make super glue ?

• Thread starter jessb
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of making a strong adhesive, specifically super glue, at home. Suggestions are made for alternative natural options, such as the sticky substance secreted by the Holy Cross frog and a sugar compound produced by the bacteria Caulobacter crescentus. References and links are provided for further information.
jessb
Hi,

Does anyone know any reasonably safe reactions - lab or home based - to make a half decent super glue?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You may like to look into something a little more natural, for example the Holy Cross frog secretes a sticky substance from its back that is the second strongest glue in the world and is natural!
You may have to go to Australia though. As it is native to Australia.
The kind of applications that little guy will have on such things as surgery will be something to watch out for.

check this link for details. http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s1705318.htm

If you want to make something even stronger than super glue you may like to head to your nearest stream or river and collect this little guy Caulobacter crescentus , he is a bacteria that produces a sugar compound three time stronger than any made man glue (including super glue)

Check out this website http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2006/04/10/glue-bacteria060410.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes eightbitbeast
DesertSands said:
If you want to make something even stronger than super glue you may like to head to your nearest stream or river and collect this little guy Caulobacter crescentus , he is a bacteria that produces a sugar compound three time stronger than any made man glue (including super glue)

Check out this website http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2006/04/10/glue-bacteria060410.html [Broken]

Thanks, i was thinking of glueing my car to my living room ceiling today and couldn't find an adhesive ¬_¬

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does super glue work?

Super glue, also known as cyanoacrylate adhesive, works by creating a strong bond between two surfaces through a process called polymerization. When exposed to moisture, the super glue molecules form long chains that create a hard and durable bond.

2. Can super glue be used on all materials?

While super glue is suitable for most materials, it may not work on surfaces that are smooth, oily, or coated with certain chemicals. It is best to test a small amount on the surface before using it for a larger project.

3. What is the best way to apply super glue?

The best way to apply super glue is to first clean and dry the surfaces to be bonded. Then, apply a small amount of glue to one surface and press the two surfaces together for 10-30 seconds to allow the bond to form. It is important to avoid getting super glue on your skin as it can cause irritation.

4. How strong is the bond created by super glue?

The bond created by super glue is incredibly strong and durable. It can withstand high temperatures, impacts, and even some chemicals. However, it may not be suitable for load-bearing applications.

5. What should I do if I accidentally get super glue on my skin?

If you accidentally get super glue on your skin, do not panic. First, try to gently peel or roll the glue off of your skin. If it does not come off easily, soak the affected area in warm, soapy water and try to gently peel it off again. If the glue is still stuck, you can use acetone or nail polish remover to dissolve it. Be sure to wash and moisturize the area afterwards.