Does the Correspondence Principle Apply to All Quantum Systems?

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, the conversation discusses the correspondence principle in quantum mechanics, which states that classical mechanics can be derived from quantum mechanics as higher quantum numbers are reached. The question is raised about whether this principle can be mathematically justified for a general quantum system. Two demonstrations of the correspondence principle are suggested - one using the Heisenberg operator picture and the other using the de Broglie thermal wavelength and density matrix formulation.
maverick280857
Hello.

I know about the correspondence principle which states that classical mechanics emerges from quantum mechanics as high quantum numbers are reached. I can see this for a particle in a box, but can this be mathematically justified for a general quantum system?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The moon is in a Bohr orbit of huge N.

Ok...I could see that. Perhaps I should rephrase my question. The correspondence principle as stated for simple quantum systems like a square well and a harmonic oscillator, in most books, is that for large quantum numbers, classical effects become apparent. I was just wondering whether we could generalize this principle mathematically (I know it sounds vague) or whether a more formal statement exists. But I guess not...its a principle after all and a physical principle.

the most direct way is to use the Heisenberg operator picture:

[tex]\frac{d <\Omega>}{dt} = \frac{i}{\hbar}<[\hat{H}, \hat{\Omega}]>[/tex]

and show that if omega is the position or momentum operators, that you get back (as an average) a form of Newton's second law.

then construct the wavepacket. in the high temperature limit, the wavepacket approaches a delta function in position and momentum. the average above will then become exact.

this all assumes that there is no _explicit_ time dependence in your potentialyet an alternative demonstration of the bohr correspondence principle, is to consider the de Broglie thermal wavelength as a function of temperature. yet another is to look at the density matrix formulation of the partition function [tex]e^{- \beta \hat{H}}[/tex] and show that in the classical limit you get Boltzmann statistics, etc.

(cant get the beta above to show up in the partition function)

Last edited:

What is the Correspondence Principle?

The Correspondence Principle is a concept in science that states that the behavior of systems described by a newer theory should be consistent with the behavior predicted by an older, more well-established theory in the appropriate limit.

Why is the Correspondence Principle important?

The Correspondence Principle is important because it ensures the continuity and consistency of scientific theories. It allows new theories to build upon and improve upon previous ones, rather than completely replacing them, which leads to a better understanding of the natural world.

What does the Correspondence Principle say about quantum mechanics?

The Correspondence Principle played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics. It states that at large scales, the behavior of quantum systems should resemble classical systems, as described by Newtonian mechanics. This helped bridge the gap between the two theories and allowed for the successful application of quantum mechanics to macroscopic systems.

Are there any exceptions to the Correspondence Principle?

While the Correspondence Principle holds true in most cases, there are some exceptions. For example, in some cases, new theories may completely contradict previous ones, such as with the development of quantum mechanics. Additionally, the Correspondence Principle only applies to the behavior of systems in the appropriate limit and does not account for all possible scenarios.

How is the Correspondence Principle used in scientific research?

The Correspondence Principle is often used as a guiding principle in scientific research, particularly in the development of new theories. Scientists use it to ensure that their new theories do not contradict well-established ones and can be applied in the appropriate limit. It also helps scientists make predictions and test the validity of their theories by comparing them to the behavior predicted by older theories.