Fluids and pressures (artery question)

• Thread starter Cypripedium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, the diameter of a certain artery has decreased by 22% due to arteriosclerosis. For part (a), the equation can be simplified to deltaP of B / deltaP of A = (r of A / r of B)^4, which comes out to (1/.78)^4 = 2.7%. For part (b), the equation can be simplified to (.78/1)^4 = .37, which represents a factor of .37 drop in blood flow rate. The actual percentage for the blood pressure difference can be calculated by subtracting 1 from the calculated percentage and multiplying by 100.
Cypripedium

Homework Statement

The diameter of a certain artery has decreased by 22% due to arteriosclerosis.

(a) If the same amount of blood flows through it per unit time as when it was unobstructed, by what percentage has the blood pressure difference between its ends increased?

(b) If, instead, the pressure drop across the artery stays the same, by what factor does the blood flow rate through it decrease? (In reality we are likely to see a combination of some pressure increase with some reduction in flow.)

Homework Equations

flow rate = (pi/8) * deltaP/(viscosity*L) * r^4. Fill in for point A (before the blockage) and fill in for point B (inside the blockage) and then set equal because flow rate doesn't change (for part (a)).

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a), I know that everything is constant except for deltaP and r, so the equation can be simplified down to deltaP of B/delta P of A = (r of A)^4/(r of B)^4 which is, in turn, = to (1/.78)^4, or at least I think it is. That gives a percentage of 2.7% which is incorrect.

For (b), I am similarly able to reduce the equations down to (.78/1)^4. That gives a factor of .37 drop in blood flow rate. Once again, I'm incorrect.I'm clearly not doing something correctly here. Can anyone shed a bit of light? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Going by your equation, rate, [tex]r=k P D^4[/tex] where [tex]k=\frac{2\pi}{L\nu}[/tex].

Differentiating this equation, [tex]dr=kP(4D^3)d(D)[/tex], now we know d(D)=.22 or 22%. Substituting this, you get your change in rate. Similarly for constant pressure.

chaoseverlasting said:
Going by your equation, rate, [tex]r=k P D^4[/tex] where [tex]k=\frac{2\pi}{L\nu}[/tex].

Differentiating this equation, [tex]dr=kP(4D^3)d(D)[/tex], now we know d(D)=.22 or 22%. Substituting this, you get your change in rate. Similarly for constant pressure.

chaoseverlasting, thank you for the response. However, to be honest, I don't really have any idea what those equations mean.

For part (a), I am able to get the equation down to deltaP of B / deltaP of A = (r of A / r of B)^4. That comes out to (1/.78)^4 = 2.7%. I believe my calculations are correct but I'm unable to frame them into exactly what the questions ask for.

I have the same issue with part (b). (.78/1)^4 = .37, but I don't really know how to frame that into what the question is asking for.

Ok, I figured out my issue.

For part (a), I took my number, subtracted 1 from it, and then multiplied by 100 to get the %.

Similarly, for part (b), I subtracted my number from 1. Makes sense now.

Alright, I am working a similar problem, but I don't understand what you said in the last section. I understand this part:

Cypripedium said:
For part (a), I am able to get the equation down to deltaP of B / deltaP of A = (r of A / r of B)^4. That comes out to (1/.78)^4 = 2.7%. I believe my calculations are correct but I'm unable to frame them into exactly what the questions ask for.

I have the same issue with part (b). (.78/1)^4 = .37, but I don't really know how to frame that into what the question is asking for.

but after that, I simply get lost. How is the percentage for the blood pressure difference ACTUALLY calcuated from here? Sorry for unearthing this post, but any help would be appreciated!

1. What is the difference between fluids and pressures?

Fluids refer to substances that can flow and conform to the shape of their container, while pressure is defined as the force exerted on a surface per unit area. In other words, fluids are the substances that are affected by pressure.

2. How do fluids and pressures affect the human body?

In the human body, fluids and pressures play important roles in maintaining homeostasis. Blood, which is a fluid, exerts pressure on the walls of arteries, veins, and capillaries as it flows through them. This pressure helps to circulate oxygen and nutrients to all parts of the body.

3. What is blood pressure and how is it measured?

Blood pressure is the force exerted by the blood against the walls of the arteries as it is pumped from the heart. It is measured using a blood pressure cuff and a sphygmomanometer. The measurement is given in two numbers, the systolic pressure (when the heart contracts) over the diastolic pressure (when the heart relaxes), in millimeters of mercury (mmHg).

4. How does the body regulate blood pressure?

The body has several mechanisms to regulate blood pressure, including the nervous system, hormones, and the kidneys. These systems work together to adjust the diameter of blood vessels and the amount of fluid in the body, which in turn affects blood pressure.

5. What are the potential consequences of high or low blood pressure?

High blood pressure (hypertension) can lead to damage of the arteries, heart, and other organs, increasing the risk of heart disease, stroke, and kidney failure. Low blood pressure (hypotension) can cause dizziness, fainting, and organ damage due to decreased blood flow and oxygen delivery to the body's tissues.