Estimating \int_{0}^{1/2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^3}}dx using Power Series

In summary, the binomial series can be used to estimate the integral of a function within 10^-3. However, the function may not be accurate to within 0.01.
AngelofMusic
Hi,

This was a question on a past exam, and I'm very confused about how to do this. We're not allowed calculators, so I'm sure there must be some simple solution that I'm missing.

It asks: Use power series to estimate [tex]\int_{0}^{1/2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^3}}dx[/tex] within 10^-3.

I started off with the binomial series:

[tex](1+x^3)^{-1/2} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{ccc}
-1/2 \\
k \end{array}\right)x^{3k}[/tex]

I then integrated from 0 to 1/2 to get:

[tex]\int_{0}^{1/2}(1+x^3)^{-1/2}dx = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{ccc}
-1/2 \\
k \end{array}\right)\frac{(1/2)^{3k+1}}{3k+1}[/tex]

Now I'm stuck because I don't know how to make it accurate within 0.01. The remainder has a formula:

[tex]R_n(x) = \frac{f^{(n+1)}(c)}{(n+1)!}x^{n+1}[/tex]

But I don't know how to find M, such that [tex]f^{(n+1)}(c)<=M[/tex].

Did I do this one completely wrong? Is there a power series that's easier to work with than the one I came up with? To me, it seems almost impossible to do this question without a lot of tedious work and using a calculator, but our exam is strictly no calculators allowed.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The series you have there is for the function inside the integral. You still need to do some integration. You can estimate the error because, say, the integral of g over the interval [0,1/2] is no more than 1/2 sup g(x), where g is some positive function.

So you can do the integration of the powers of x, and get an estimate of the integral of the remainder.

But I thought I did the integration already?

[tex]\int_{0}^{1/2}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-1/2 \\k \end{array}\right)x^{3k} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-1/2 \\k \end{array}\right) \int_{0}^{1/2}x^{3k}dx[/tex]

And that is [tex] = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-1/2 \\k \end{array}\right)\frac{(1/2)^{3k+1}}{3k+1}[/tex]

you did, i misread, but the thing about being able to estimate the error is still valid:

proper integral - integral; of first n terms = integral of error

l

integral of error can be bound by 1/2 sup possible error.

ie take the worst cas scenario

Sorry to be a bother, but I'm really unclear on this error bounds stuff. Can you explain what you mean by the phrase "integral of error can be bound by 1/2 sup possible error"?

Do you mean that I should do something like:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-1/2 \\k \end{array}\right)\frac{(1/2)^{3k+1}}{3k+1} - \sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-1/2 \\k \end{array}\right)\frac{(1/2)^{3k+1}}{3k+1} = 0.001[/tex]

? If so, how do I go about figuring out what n is supposed to be from that?

Let me do it this way, the detail is annoying to type but I think I can't avoid it.
Let f be the function, f_n the taylor expansion up to the n'th term

[tex]f(x) - f_n(x) = R_n(x)[/tex]

where

[tex]R_n= f^{(n+1)}(c)x^{n+1}/n![/tex]

what are the derivatives of f? what is the maximal value of the n'th derivative? It should be quite small, and you can get any bound that works. Call this number M.

then the error in the integral is

M/(n+1)! times the integral of x^{n+1} between 0 and 1/2 which is intself quite small, so just find an n to make it as small as you want.

Alternatively you could have just made the substitution x^3 = u in the original integral and it would make it a lot easier - the derivatives would be so much easier to work out.

1. What are power series estimates?

A power series estimate is a mathematical method used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point, using a polynomial function with an infinite number of terms.

2. How are power series estimates calculated?

To calculate a power series estimate, we use the infinite series expansion of the function around the point we want to estimate. This involves finding the coefficients of the terms in the series, which can be done using various methods such as Taylor series or Maclaurin series.

3. What are the applications of power series estimates?

Power series estimates are used in a variety of scientific and engineering fields, including physics, chemistry, and economics. They are also used in computer algorithms for numerical analysis and optimization.

4. Can power series estimates be used for any function?

No, power series estimates can only be used for functions that have a convergent power series expansion. This means that the function must be infinitely differentiable at the point of expansion and the series must converge for all values within a certain radius around the point.

5. How accurate are power series estimates?

The accuracy of a power series estimate depends on the number of terms used in the series and the radius of convergence. Generally, the more terms included, the more accurate the estimate will be. However, as the number of terms increases, the computation time also increases, so a balance must be struck between accuracy and efficiency.