Meteors will strike earth at what speed?

In summary, two meteoroids, located 160,000 km from Earth's center, are heading straight towards Earth at speeds of 10 km/s and 20 km/s. The equations K + U = K_i + U_i and U = -GMm/R can be used to calculate the speeds at which the meteoroids will strike Earth. Additionally, the change in potential energy is equal to the change in kinetic energy, so the initial and final potential energies of the meteoroids must be considered.
gills

Homework Statement

2 meteoroids are 160,000 km from Earth's center and heading straight toward Earth. One is moving at 10 km/s, the other at 20 km/s. At what speeds will they strike Earth?

Homework Equations

K + U = K_i + U_i

U = -GMm/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, either I'm having a serious brain fart. But are those the right equations I'm concentrating on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes they are. You are on the right track if you know that those equation will help you with the problem.

As well, remember that the change in potential energy is equal to the change in kinetic energy. What potential energy to the meteoroids have initially, and what will they have when they strike the surface of the earth?

1. What is the average speed of a meteor that strikes Earth?

The average speed of a meteor that strikes Earth is around 20 kilometers per second, or 44,700 miles per hour. However, this can vary depending on the size and composition of the meteor.

2. Can meteors strike Earth at speeds faster than the average?

Yes, it is possible for some meteors to strike Earth at speeds faster than the average. This can happen if the meteor is larger or has a more angled trajectory, causing it to enter Earth's atmosphere at a higher velocity.

3. How fast do meteors slow down when entering Earth's atmosphere?

Meteors can slow down significantly when entering Earth's atmosphere, going from speeds of thousands of kilometers per second in space to a few hundred kilometers per second once they reach the upper atmosphere. As they continue to travel through the atmosphere, they can slow down even further before finally reaching the Earth's surface.

4. What is the impact speed of a meteor that strikes Earth?

The impact speed of a meteor that strikes Earth can vary, but it is typically around 10 to 20 kilometers per second. This is the speed at which the meteor hits the Earth's surface, causing a powerful explosion and leaving a crater.

5. How do scientists determine the speed of a meteor that will strike Earth?

Scientists use various methods to determine the speed of a meteor that will strike Earth, such as tracking its trajectory and using radar measurements. They can also analyze the composition and size of the meteor to estimate its speed. Additionally, eyewitness accounts and video footage can provide valuable information about the speed of a meteor as it enters Earth's atmosphere.