Substitution for impulse in recurrence equation

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, when dealing with recurrence equations with linear combinations of impulses on the right side, the most common approach is to use the method of undetermined coefficients. This involves assuming a particular form for the solution and solving for the coefficients. In this case, we can assume a particular solution of the form y_p[k] = Ak\delta[k] + B(k+1)\delta[k+1] and solve for the coefficients A and B. The particular solution for the given recurrence equation is y_p[k] = (1/2)k\delta[k] - (1/4)(k+1)\delta[k+1].
yoran
Hi,

I was wondering what substitution to try when finding a particular solution for a recurrence equation with a linear combination of impulses on the right side of the equation. I think an example will clarify this.
Given the recurrence equation
[tex]y[k+2]-4y[k]=\delta [k] + 2\delta [k+1][/tex]
with [tex]\delta [k][/tex] being the discrete impulse, i.e [tex]\delta [k] = 1[/tex] for [tex]k=0[/tex] and [tex]\delta [k] = 0[/tex] for [tex]k\neq 0[/tex].
First you must find a solution for the homogeneous equation. I have no problems with that. But I don't know what substitution to use for finding the particular solution? Can someone help me with that?

Thanks,

Yoran

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Yoran,

Thank you for your question. When dealing with recurrence equations with linear combinations of impulses on the right side, the most common approach is to use the method of undetermined coefficients. This method involves assuming a form for the particular solution and then solving for the coefficients.

In this particular case, we can assume a particular solution of the form y_p[k] = Ak\delta[k] + B(k+1)\delta[k+1], where A and B are constants to be determined. Plugging this into the original equation, we get:

A(k+2)\delta[k+2] + B(k+3)\delta[k+3] - 4(Ak\delta[k] + B(k+1)\delta[k+1]) = \delta[k] + 2\delta[k+1]

Simplifying and equating coefficients, we get:
A = 1/2 and B = -1/4

Therefore, the particular solution is y_p[k] = (1/2)k\delta[k] - (1/4)(k+1)\delta[k+1]

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the purpose of substitution in a recurrence equation?

Substitution helps to simplify complex recurrence equations by replacing a variable with another expression, which makes it easier to solve and analyze the equation.

2. How do you determine the appropriate substitution for a given recurrence equation?

The appropriate substitution for a recurrence equation is usually determined by examining the pattern of the equation and identifying a variable or expression that can simplify the equation.

3. Can substitution be applied to any recurrence equation?

Yes, substitution can be applied to any recurrence equation as long as the substituted expression is valid and does not alter the original equation.

4. Are there any limitations to using substitution in recurrence equations?

One limitation of substitution is that it may not always lead to a closed-form solution. In some cases, it may only provide a recursive solution, which is not always desirable.

5. How can substitution for impulse in a recurrence equation be used in real-world applications?

Substitution for impulse in a recurrence equation can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to model and analyze processes that involve discrete events or impulses occurring over time.