Redoing a History Day board

In summary, Paden is working on a History Day project for the state competition and is having trouble coming up with two specific relativity-related concepts. One is a real-life implication of something relativity-related, and the other is another picture to use for LQG.
PRodQuanta
Hey,
I am in the process of redoing a History Day board for the state competition. Of coarse, I did mine on physics. I have a problem though. I'm stuck on 2 things.

1) A real life implication of something to do with Relativity (special of general).

2) Another picture I could put for LQG. Any ideas would be splended.

Paden Roder

Physics news on Phys.org
1) From what I've heard, the GPS navigating system wouldn't work if it had been based solely on Newtonian mechanics.
I'm not sure about this, though; it might be worth checking out nonetheless.

1) Correct, GPS would not work without the clocks in the sattelites being built to run a little "fast". The speed of the moving sattelite means that time slows down for it, andf the clocks run at "normal" speed. At the speeds they go, if the sattelite's clock was off by just a fraction of a second, it would calculate its own position to be miles from where it actually was. That's special relativity. Without GR's more acurate predictions of gravity (and therefore orbital dynamics), The Mars Rovers, the Cassini rpobe to Saturn, and all our exploratory craft would go off course and miss there targets.

2) What is your current picture?

LURCH said: 1) Correct, GPS would not work without the clocks in the sattelites being built to run a little "fast". The speed of the moving sattelite means that time slows down for it, andf the clocks run at "normal" speed. At the speeds they go, if the sattelite's clock was off by just a fraction of a second, it would calculate its own position to be miles from where it actually was. That's special relativity. Without GR's more acurate predictions of gravity (and therefore orbital dynamics), The Mars Rovers, the Cassini rpobe to Saturn, and all our exploratory craft would go off course and miss there targets.
arildno said:1) From what I've heard, the GPS navigating system wouldn't work if it had been based solely on Newtonian mechanics.
Thanks guys, that works great.
LURCH said:2) What is your current picture?
I have a picture of a tv (photoelectric cells) and rubber gloves (more particle physics than relativity.

What you guys said helps a lot. That's what I will use. Thanks.

Still open to comments on LQG implications.

Paden Roder

LOL! no, no, no; I meant this;

PRodQuanta said:
Hey,

2) Another picture I could put for LQG. Any ideas would be splended.

Paden Roder

What is your current picture? :biggrin:

LURCH said:What is your current picture?
Sorry, my current picture consist of something that portrays a spin network. Really, it's just a psychedelic picture of space. That's why I'm open to suggestions.

Paden Roder

1. How do I know if I need to redo my History Day board?

If your board is damaged, has incorrect or missing information, or does not meet the project requirements, it may need to be redone.

2. What are the steps for redoing a History Day board?

The first step is to assess what needs to be changed or fixed on the board. Then, gather the necessary materials and make a plan for the redesign. Next, carefully remove any existing elements on the board and replace or add new ones. Finally, review and proofread the board before presenting it.

3. How can I improve the appearance of my History Day board?

To improve the appearance of your board, consider using a color scheme, incorporating visual aids such as images or charts, and using a clear and legible font. It can also be helpful to organize information in a logical and visually appealing manner.

4. Can I use the same board for multiple History Day projects?

No, it is important to create a new and unique board for each History Day project to accurately represent the specific topic and research. This also allows for the opportunity to improve and showcase new skills with each project.

5. How important is the design and layout of a History Day board?

The design and layout of a History Day board is crucial as it is the first thing judges and viewers will see. A well-designed and organized board can make a strong impression and effectively convey the information and research presented. It is important to keep the design and layout simple, yet visually appealing and informative.