Angular Acceleration: Find Magnitude & Direction

• Thread starter student 1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary: I don't know if I'm understanding the question correctly, but if the wheel starts from rest and rotates 2π radians in 2 seconds, then its angular speed is 2π/2 = π radians per second. So in summary, the problem involves a wheel starting from rest and rotating 2π radians in 2 seconds. The magnitude and direction of the angular acceleration can be found using a kinematic equation for angular movement. The angle through which the wheel rotates in this time can also be determined.
student 1

Homework Statement

A wheel starts from rest and rotates of 2[tex]\pi[/tex] radians, sec in 2.00 seconds.
A. find the magnitude and direction of the angular acceleration.
B. Find the angle through which the wheel rotates in this time.

Homework Equations

I'm guessing you would use a form of kinematic equation that deals with angular movement instead of linear??

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
student 1 said:
I'm guessing you would use a form of kinematic equation that deals with angular movement instead of linear??

Yes that is correct.

If you have another question, I can't tell you anything else unless you show more work.

Hi student 1! :smile:

(have a pi: π :smile:)
student 1 said:
A wheel starts from rest and rotates of 2[tex]\pi[/tex] radians, sec in 2.00 seconds.

B. Find the angle through which the wheel rotates in this time.

That doesn't make sense …

how can they ask for the angle when they've already told you it's 2π? :confused:

(or do you mean 2π radians/sec after 2.00 sec?)

Could you check the question? :smile:

So, [tex]\theta[/tex]f=[tex]\theta[/tex]i+[tex]\omega[/tex]it+1/2[tex]\alpha[/tex]t2

With that I know my Initial's are zero because it starts from rest, How do I know my [tex]\theta[/tex]final

I'm sorry this may not help but it moves with a constant angular acceleration to reach an angular speed of 2n radians/ sec in 2.00 seconds.

student 1 said:
So, [tex]\theta[/tex]f=[tex]\theta[/tex]i+[tex]\omega[/tex]it+1/2[tex]\alpha[/tex]t2

With that I know my Initial's are zero because it starts from rest, How do I know my [tex]\theta[/tex]final

θf is the answer to B.

α is the answer to A.

You have them both in the only one equation.

For two unknowns, you need two equations.

What other equation can you use? :smile:

Well would you know (a) since it accelerated constantly for 2 seconds to a angular speed of 2n radians/ sec.? or do you have to have another formula?

student 1 said:
Well would you know (a) since it accelerated constantly for 2 seconds to a angular speed of 2n radians/ sec.? or do you have to have another formula?

C'mon … commit yourself! :wink:

What is a? :smile:

1. What is angular acceleration and how is it different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, which measures how quickly an object's rotational speed changes over time. It is different from linear acceleration, which measures how quickly an object's linear velocity changes over time. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

2. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula is: α = (ωf - ωi) / Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the magnitude of angular acceleration?

The magnitude of angular acceleration is the absolute value of the angular acceleration, which represents the size or strength of the acceleration. It is typically measured in radians per second squared.

4. How do you find the direction of angular acceleration?

The direction of angular acceleration can be determined by the right hand rule. If you align your right hand with the axis of rotation and curl your fingers in the direction of the angular velocity, your thumb will point in the direction of the angular acceleration.

5. What factors affect the magnitude and direction of angular acceleration?

The magnitude and direction of angular acceleration can be affected by the torque applied to an object, the mass and distribution of the object, and the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. Other factors may include external forces and friction.