[PhD Qualifier] Spin eigenfunctions

In summary: But if one of the spins is down, then the spatial function can be symmetrical and the two triplet states will still be excluded from each other.
confuted

Homework Statement

Consider two identical particles of mass m and spin 1/2. They interact via a potential given by
[tex]V=\frac{g}{r}\hat{\sigma}_1\cdot\hat{\sigma}_2[/tex]

where g>0 and [tex]\hat{sigma}_j[/tex] are Pauli spin matrices which operate on the spin of particle j.

a) Construct the spin eigenfunctions for the two particle states. What is the expectation value of V for each of these states?

b) Give eigenvalues of all the bound states

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure where to start. I'm used to the Hamiltonian taking the form
[tex]H=\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}+V[/tex]
but I don't see how I can apply that at all. Is this easier than I'm making it?

I thought I was relatively good at Q.M... hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your wavefunction is going to be a product of a spatial part and a spin part, the spin part being a vector. The sigma matrices in the potential energy term will act only on the spin part, which is going to be one of the spin triplets or the spin singlet. To deal with them, it's best to rewrite the dot product:

[tex](\mathbf{\sigma}_1 + \mathbf{\sigma}_2)^2 = \mathbf{\sigma}_1^2 + \mathbf{\sigma}_2^2 + 2\mathbf{\sigma}_1 \cdot \mathbf{\sigma}_2[/tex]

Solve for the dot product, then recall that [itex]\sigma^2 = 1[/itex], and the sum squared is the total spin momentum operator squared (well, without the factor of [itex](\hbar/2)^2[/itex]). When calculating the expected value of V, there will be two possible cases depending on the total spin momentum.

Does that help you get started?

I've got the same question, and I'm still stuck after reading your reply Mute. Could you by chance elaborate more (or, if you've got it confuted, could you post what you know)?

Thanks,

Basically, your wavefunction should, I believe, look like [itex]\psi(\mathbf{r})\left|s m_s \right>[/itex], where [itex]\psi(\mathbf{r})[/itex] is the spatial part and [itex]\left|s m_s \right>[/itex] is the spin vector part (a triplet or singlet state). Then,

[tex]\mathcal{H}\psi(\mathbf{r})\left|s m_s \right> = E\psi(\mathbf{r})\left|s m_s \right> \Rightarrow \left(\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}+\frac{g}{r}\hat{\sigma}_1\cdot\hat{\sigma}_2 - E \right)\psi(\mathbf{r})\left|s m_s \right> = 0[/tex]

The potential energy operator will operate on the spin vector, replacing the sigma dot product with a number [itex]\lambda[/itex] (which depends on the total spin number s). You then solve the equation

[tex]\left(\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}+\frac{g\lambda}{r} - E \right)\psi(\mathbf{r}) = 0[/tex]

for the spatial part. You can then calculate the expected value of the potential.

I think this is the way to do it. I'm not 100% certain, but it makes sense to me. Then again, I haven't actually solved this problem myself.

If that's wrong, then I guess the way to do it would be to use the matrix form and write the wave function as a column vector with components [itex]\psi_A(\mathbf{r})[/itex] and [itex]\psi_B(\mathbf{r})[/itex], then rewrite the spin operators as above and write the total spin operator in matrix form, and solve the corresponding coupled equations for [itex]\psi_A(\mathbf{r})[/itex] and [itex]\psi_B(\mathbf{r})[/itex].

Last edited:
Looking at the operator, [tex] \hat{\sigma}_1\cdot\hat{\sigma}_2[/tex], you can decide to try your basic up and down single electron spin statse put together in various forms and see what happens when you act on them with the aforementioned operator. You want to make sure that you get back the same state you put in when you operate upon the state with that operator - no negative sign or anything. You will get the triplet states and the singlet state that satisfy this. It seems like this is the way to go, but maybe I'm wrong. The rest of the potential is just that of a hydrogen atom essentially. Just make sure that your spatial asymmetric states go with the symmetric spin states and vice versa since these are fermions.

Since they are identical fermions (as opposed to, for example, an electron and a proton for which Mute's explanation seems satisfactory to me) doesn't the exclusion principle have to be invoked in some way? I mean, in two of the triplet states the spins match. Is this problem avoided by something else in the way the problem is worded?

Yes, the Pauli exclusion principle is involved. That is why either the spatial part or the spin part of the wave function has to be asymmetric (but not both). If both of the spins are up for instance (one of the triplet states), the spatial function has to be asymetrical (they don't have the exact same n,l and m).

1. What are spin eigenfunctions?

Spin eigenfunctions are mathematical functions that describe the spin state of a quantum particle. They are solutions to the Schrödinger equation and are used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin of particles such as electrons and protons.

2. How are spin eigenfunctions related to spin eigenvalues?

Spin eigenfunctions and spin eigenvalues are closely related. The spin eigenvalues are the possible values that the spin of a particle can take on, while the spin eigenfunctions describe the probability of the particle having a particular spin value. In other words, the spin eigenfunction tells us the likelihood of a particle having a specific spin value.

3. Can spin eigenfunctions be used to determine the spin of a particle?

Yes, spin eigenfunctions can be used to determine the spin of a particle. By solving for the spin eigenfunctions, we can determine the probability of a particle having a particular spin value. This information can then be used to make predictions about the behavior of the particle in experiments.

4. What is the importance of spin eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics?

Spin eigenfunctions are an essential part of quantum mechanics because they describe the spin of particles, which is a fundamental property of matter. They also play a significant role in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems and are crucial for making predictions and calculations in quantum physics.

5. How are spin eigenfunctions different from other wavefunctions?

Spin eigenfunctions are different from other wavefunctions because they describe the spin state of particles, while other wavefunctions describe other properties such as position or momentum. Spin eigenfunctions are also unique in that they are always paired with spin eigenvalues, which represent the possible values of a particle's spin. Other wavefunctions do not necessarily have this same pairing.