Trigonometry equation, principal value(i dont get this at all)

In summary: Since radians measure the length of an arc, these points also have the following coordinates in radians: (-1, 0), (0, 1), (1, 0), (0, -1), (1, -1),..., (-2, 1), (-1, -2), (1, -3),..., (0, -2), (0, -3).cos x=90ºcos x=0cos x=-1
joker2413
1.Solve the following for the principal values of the indicated variable.

2. 3cos x-1=2

3. 3cosx - 1 = 2
3cosx+1=0

im not sure what to do from here, I would ask a teacher or a tutor but it is summer work for a calculus course and i forgot what to do. I have looked in a precalculus book at the library and couldn't understand what i was supposed to do. Please explain how you solve this equation and I will be most grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
joker2413 said:
3cosx - 1 = 2
3cosx+1=0

Re-check this.

3cosx-1-2=0 gives what? (does -1-2=+1?)

@_@ lol i must be tired... thanks

3cosX - 1 = 2
3cosX -3 = 0

but i still don't have any idea of what to do from there.

How about instead:
3cos x- 1= 2
3cox x= 3
cos x= ?

HallsofIvy said:
How about instead:
3cos x- 1= 2
3cox x= 3
cos x= ?
that would work to i just wasnt sure if there was any special rules with cos being multiplied..

so the final answer is cos x= 1? or would it be like... cos-1(cosx) = cos-1
X = cos-1

or do i have to do something else?

joker2413 said:
that would work to i just wasnt sure if there was any special rules with cos being multiplied..

so the final answer is cos x= 1? or would it be like... cos-1(cosx) = cos-1
X = cos-1

or do i have to do something else?
cos(x)= 1 you should be able to remember almost without thinking!

But be very careful what you write. To me, cos-1 means cos(-1). I think you mean cos-1(1). What does your calculator say that is?

HallsofIvy said:
cos(x)= 1 you should be able to remember almost without thinking!

But be very careful what you write. To me, cos-1 means cos(-1). I think you mean cos-1(1). What does your calculator say that is?

yeah i did mean X= cos-1(1)

new here and didnt see the tags... sorry...

calc says cos-1(1) = 0 but i kind of remember cos x = 90º

which one is a principal value?

Please, please, please, go back and review trigonometry! "cos x= 90º" doesn't even make sense: you take the cosine OF an angle, an angle is not the value of a cosine!

If you meant "cos(90º)= 0" that is also wrong. Now, exactly what definition of sine and cosine are you using? One problem with the old "trigonometry" definition of "opposite side over hypotenuse" and "near side over hypotenuse" is that your angles must larger than 0º and less than 90º in order to have a triangle: you can't have an angle in a triangle so that cos(x)= 1 because the near side and hypotenuse cannot be of the same length.

But in higher mathematics, we use sine and cosine as functions for many different applications that have nothing to do with triangles or even angles and we want to be able to define sin(x) and cosine(x) for any number x. A good way to do that is to use the unit circle. Draw a unit circle (center at (0,0), radius 1) on an xy- coordinate system. Starting from the point (1, 0), measure distance t counterclockwise around the circumference of the circle. The coordinates of the end point are, by definition, (cos(t), sin(t)). (If t is negative, measure clockwise.) That is, cos(t) and sin(t) are defined as the x and y coordinates of that point.

Notice that if you draw a line from that end point to the origin and also draw a line from that end point perpendicular to the x-axis, you make a right triangle having hypotenuse of length 1 (because the unit circle has radius 1), near side of length x and opposite side of length y so that cosine and sine of that angle are x/1= x and y/1= y.

But also notice that the "t" in cos(t) and sin(t) here is NOT an angle at all. It is a distance around the circle. If we measure the angle in radians, since radian angle measure is defined as the length of the arc subtending the angle defined by the length, with the unit circle the angle measure in radians is exactly the length of the arc that I am calling "t" here. Degree measure is convenient for working specifically with angles and triangles but for any other application of sine and cosine, we always use "radians".

Of course, since a unit circle with have circumference [itex]2\pi r= 2\pi(1)= 2\pi[/itex], we can also see that half a circle, corresponding to 180º, is [itex]\pi[/itex] radians and 1/4 of a circle, corresponding to 90º, is [itex]\pi/2[/itex] radians.

Now, on that unit circle graph you have drawn, mark the points (1, 0), (0, 1), (-1, 0), (0, -1). That should make it very easy to see what values of t give cos(t) and sin(t) equal to 0, 1, or -1.

read what you said a few times but don't get some of it...

but for the problem would it be X = 0 and the principal values are X = [tex]\pi[/tex]/2

and what I am doing right now and for the past 5 days is reviewing trigonometry i just have a little trouble with some of it.

What is a Trigonometry equation?

A Trigonometry equation is a mathematical expression that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to solve for unknown angles or sides in a triangle.

How do you solve a Trigonometry equation?

To solve a Trigonometry equation, you can use inverse trigonometric functions, trigonometric identities, or the Pythagorean theorem. It is important to use the correct formula and substitute the given values to solve for the unknown variable.

What is a principal value in Trigonometry?

The principal value in Trigonometry refers to the unique solution of an inverse trigonometric function. It is usually the value within a specified range, such as between -π and π, and is used to simplify calculations and avoid multiple solutions.

What is the difference between a principal value and a general solution in Trigonometry?

The principal value is a specific, single solution to an inverse trigonometric function, while a general solution provides all possible solutions to the function. The general solution is usually expressed in terms of an integer, n, to account for all the solutions within a given range.

Why is understanding principal values important in Trigonometry?

Understanding principal values is important in Trigonometry because it helps us find a single, unique solution to an inverse trigonometric function. This simplifies calculations and allows for a better understanding of the behavior of trigonometric functions.