Fortran 77 & 90/95 on Windows XP

In summary: Download & Install Windows PowerShell 1.0 from Microsoft Download Center, which is your console for compiling and running code.2) Download g95-MinGW from the g95 homepage (just Google g95), which is a freeware Fortran compiler for Windows. You have to use the readme.txt file to change a couple of system features after installing.3) Download & install an editor, I got Crimson Editor.4) Download & install Fortran 77 from the Fortran 77 website.5) Compile and run your first Fortran 77 program.
natski
Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it. However, I will ask it nevertheless...

How does one compile AND run fortran 77 & 90/95 codes on a Windows XP O/S? The fact I am asking this means I am not a computer-whizz so please take this into account when replying! :-S

I have installed Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler Professional Edition for Windows but I don't really see what this gives me since I still lack a terminal where I can start typing in commands... Also it's only on a 90-day evaluation, surely there is a freeware version out there?

Natski

Technology news on Phys.org
Well I usually use a Mac, so typically I use an X11 terminal and compile and run programs within there. I don't really like the idea of a point-and-click compiler somehow...

Matter of preferences then :smile:

natski said:
I have installed Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler Professional Edition for Windows

Didn't it come with documentation on how to use it?

Ok, I think I have found the solution to my problem and will post it here for those who are similarly clueless with computers.

1) Download & Install Windows PowerShell 1.0 from Microsoft Download Center, which is your console for compiling and running code.

2) Download g95-MinGW from the g95 homepage (just Google g95), which is a freeware Fortran compiler for Windows. You have to use the readme.txt file to change a couple of system features after installing.

3) Download & install an editor, I got Crimson Editor.

Natski

I have the silverfrost FTN95 program on my Xp and that works fine. (Is similarly clueless about computers) I think that was just one download.

Yes! I am also clueless and have the Silverfrost Plato IDE program which I downloaded for free (but forget where).

Works great

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention I am using XP

Guys I had a similar question a few weeks ago because I wanted to brush up on Fortran so I could help my nephew who's taking a Uni course that requires it.

I also first downloaded the silverfrost/plato compiler/development environment. It's nice and easy to use but it's got the annoying nag screen and also it doesn't make stand-alone executible files. (the .exe files you make won't run on another computer unless you also copy the salflib.dll file as well). Someone recommended the freeware g95 compiler (for windows) so I downloaded that and it works great, no nag screen and it makes stand-alone executable files.

So I recommend getting both the silverfrost and g95 compilers. You get the nice development and debugging environment of silverfrost, then when you're finished debugging just compile with g95 to make a nagless exe.

uart said:
Guys I had a similar question a few weeks ago because I wanted to brush up on Fortran so I could help my nephew who's taking a Uni course that requires it.

I also first downloaded the silverfrost/plato compiler/development environment.

Do you know how to compile Fortran77 with this software? I keep getting the error that I need FTN77 on my path, but I don't even see FTN77 in the program folder, there's only ftn95 and ftn90, I think, so I don't know what to put on the path.

Thanks.

I will be starting Fortran 77 as a new course.
I need the website to download the programming language itself (can i install it on windows 7 OS?)
I also need a website to download the tutorial
This is to keep me ahead of my training on this programm

There is no such thing as a "programming language to download". What you are looking for is a compiler and/or IDE (Integrated Debugging Environment) or at least some debugger.

@Borek
Thanks for that information, I'm new to programming
Pls give me the full list of what i need to start learning programming with Fortran 77.

1. What is Fortran 77 and how is it different from Fortran 90/95?

Fortran 77 is a programming language that was released in 1977 and is the earliest version of Fortran. Fortran 90/95 are newer versions of the language that incorporate modern programming features such as recursion and dynamic memory allocation.

2. Can I use Fortran 77 and Fortran 90/95 on Windows XP?

Yes, both Fortran 77 and Fortran 90/95 can be used on Windows XP. However, it is recommended to use a newer operating system for better compatibility and support.

3. How do I install a Fortran compiler on Windows XP?

There are several Fortran compilers available for Windows XP, such as GNU Fortran, Intel Fortran, and Microsoft Fortran Powerstation. You can download and install the compiler of your choice from their respective websites.

4. Are there any limitations to using Fortran 77 and Fortran 90/95 on Windows XP?

While Fortran 77 and Fortran 90/95 can be used on Windows XP, there may be some limitations due to the older operating system. For example, certain newer features may not be fully compatible or may require additional dependencies.

5. Can I use Fortran 77 and Fortran 90/95 to develop scientific applications on Windows XP?

Yes, Fortran is a commonly used language for scientific applications and can be used on Windows XP. However, for better performance and compatibility, it is recommended to use a newer operating system.