Oxidation or Reduction: NO3- to NO

In summary, the reaction (NO3)- ---> NO is a reduction reaction because the oxidation state of nitrogen went from 5+ to 2+. The overall charge also went from -1 to 0, indicating a gain of electrons.
Kabloom

Homework Statement

Is this oxidation or reduction: (NO3)- ---> NO (this is a half reaction I took from the full equation)

Homework Equations

Not necessary

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I got the oxidation states of each of the atoms

For (NO3)- N has an oxidation state of 5+ and O has an oxidation state of 6-.

for NO N has an oxidation state of 2+ and O has an oxidation state of 2-.

and then I look at the charge of the whole compound.

It goes from - to 0.

therefore, i concluded that this is a oxidation equation.

but it is actually a reduction equation

Did I overlook something?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a reduction. Look at it this way:

NO3 supscr -1 gives (-2)*3 charge from the oxygens. The charge on the Nitrogen is what? x + (-2)*3 = -1 means x=+5.

Now, what happened in the half reaction? What is the charge that the Nitrogen now carries? How many electrons were gained OR how many electrons were lost? If the Nitrogen had to gain electrons then the half reaction was a reduction. If the Nitrogen had to loose electrons then the half reaction was an oxidation.

Kabloom said:
For (NO3)- N has an oxidation state of 5+

for NO N has an oxidation state of 2+

So, what happened to nitrogen, did it ON went up or down?

Note: while ON for N are OK, you can't write

O has an oxidation state of 6-

There were three O atoms, each with ON -2. It is not the same, as your statement suggests each atom was -6.

Last edited:

What is oxidation and reduction?

Oxidation and reduction are chemical reactions that involve the transfer of electrons from one substance to another. In oxidation, a substance loses electrons, while in reduction, a substance gains electrons.

What is NO3- and NO?

NO3- is the chemical formula for nitrate, a compound that contains nitrogen and oxygen. NO is the chemical formula for nitric oxide, a molecule that contains one nitrogen atom and one oxygen atom.

How does NO3- get converted to NO?

The conversion of NO3- to NO involves a reduction reaction, where NO3- gains electrons to form NO. This can occur through a variety of chemical processes, such as through the use of reducing agents or exposure to high temperatures.

What is the purpose of converting NO3- to NO?

The conversion of NO3- to NO is important in several industrial and environmental processes. NO is a key component in the production of fertilizers and explosives, and it also plays a role in atmospheric chemistry and air pollution.

Can NO be converted back to NO3-?

Yes, NO can be converted back to NO3- through oxidation, where it loses electrons and gains oxygen atoms. This process can also occur through various chemical reactions, such as exposure to oxidizing agents.