Degree Needed for Medical Research

In summary, the conversation discusses the different pathways for conducting medical research and the degrees required for each. While medical school prepares individuals to practice medicine, graduate school is focused on research. However, individuals with various backgrounds and degrees are able to conduct research in the medical field.
mutzy188
Hi everyone.
I am currently a junior in college majoring in biochemistry. I want to be able to do some sort of medical research. I want to conduct experiments that I come up with or help to come up with, rather than performing experiments for other people. What kind of professional degree would I need to do this? And would I have to go to graduate school or medical school?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Medical school trains you to practice medicine. Graduate school trains you to do research. That being said, many MDs are involved in research - but often their contributions will be on the level of defining protocols, recruiting patients, or evaluating outcomes. "Medical research" is a broad term. A botanist, a physicist, a mathematician, and a kinesiologist can all do research related to medicine.

for your question! In order to conduct medical research, you would typically need a graduate degree, such as a Master's or PhD in a relevant field such as biochemistry, biology, or a specific area of medical research. This will provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary to design and conduct your own experiments. Depending on the specific field of medical research you are interested in, you may also need additional specialized training or certifications.

Medical school is not typically required for medical research, as it focuses more on clinical practice and patient care. However, some medical schools do offer dual degree programs that combine a medical degree with a research-focused degree, such as an MD/PhD or MD/MS program. These programs are highly competitive and typically require a strong background in both research and medicine.

Ultimately, the type of degree you pursue will depend on your specific interests and career goals. It may be helpful to speak with professors or professionals in the field of medical research to get a better understanding of the educational path that would best suit your goals. Good luck in your studies and future research endeavors!

1. What type of degree is needed for medical research?

Most medical research positions require at least a master's degree in a scientific or medical field, such as biology, biochemistry, or pharmacology. However, some high-level positions may require a doctoral degree, such as a PhD or MD.

2. Can I do medical research with a bachelor's degree?

While a bachelor's degree alone may not qualify you for many medical research positions, it can be a good starting point. With a bachelor's degree, you can gain experience through internships or entry-level research positions and eventually pursue a higher degree to advance in the field.

3. Is a specific major required for medical research?

There is no specific major required for medical research, as long as you have a strong foundation in science and research methodology. However, majors such as biology, chemistry, or biochemistry may provide a more direct path to a career in medical research.

4. Are there any specialized degrees for medical research?

Yes, there are specialized degrees for medical research such as a Master of Science in Clinical Research or a Doctor of Philosophy in Medical Research. These degrees provide a more focused education on research methods and medical topics specifically.

5. Do I need a medical degree to do medical research?

No, a medical degree is not required for most medical research positions. However, having a medical degree, such as an MD or DO, can be beneficial for certain research areas, such as clinical trials or patient-based research.