Correcting an Integral Calculation Using Integration by Parts

In summary, the conversation is about finding the correct integral for the equation F(time) = (Wavelength/4) x cos (2 x pi x frequency x time). The user has used the "integration by parts" rule and has come up with an integral of wavelength x sin(2 x pi x frequency x time) / (8 x pi x frequency). They have checked their calculations using a spreadsheet and found a discrepancy, but the integration is mathematically correct. Suggestions are given for further checking the calculations.
Boomer
Hello all - first time posting to this forum and glad to find this place. Not really sure how to make the mathematical script appear so apologies for using regular txt.

I've been trying to find the correct integral to the following equation.

F(time) = (Wavelength/4) x cos (2 x pi x frequency x time)

The integral I've come up with using the "integration by parts" rule follows:

Integral F(t) = wavelength x sin(2 x pi x frequency x time) + C
------------------------------------------
8 x pi x frequency

To check the calculations, I put together a spread sheet using averages for the y value to measure areas under the curve in the first equation vs plugging in values for the second. The differences are on the order of 3 magnitude leading me to believe the calculation of the integral is not correct. (The formatting doesn't come out correct in the post. The denominator is supposed to diving in the wavelength -> time numerator portion of the equation.)

Can anyone point out where I made a mistake? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Boomer.
I don't quite follow what you tried to do with a spreadsheet, but I can tell you that the integration is mathematically correct (as you can check by differentiating). Maybe your "averaging" procedure doesn't work as well as you think?

[tex]\int \mathrm{dt} \, \mathrm{fkt}(t) = \int \mathrm{dt} \, \frac{\lambda}{4} \cos \left( 2\pi f t \right) = \frac{\lambda}{8 \pi f} \sin \left( 2\pi f t \right) + C \neq \lambda \sin \left( 2\pi f t \right) + C[/tex]

When you "plug in values" for the integral, are you taking differences (i.e. definite integrals intF(t2)-intF(t1))? Or have you calculated the constant based on initial conditions? If the differences of the areas you calculated from the areas and the integral all differ by +/- a constant, then you not only obtain confirmation of your data and calculation, but the integration constant for your integral.

1. What is a trig integral question?

A trig integral question is a type of calculus problem that involves solving an integral (or antiderivative) of a trigonometric function. It requires knowledge of trigonometric identities and integration techniques.

2. How do I solve a trig integral question?

To solve a trig integral question, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It's important to carefully follow the steps and be familiar with the trigonometric functions and their derivatives.

3. What are some common trig identities used in trig integral questions?

Some common trig identities used in trig integral questions include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These identities help simplify the integrand and make it easier to solve the integral.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a trig integral question?

While a calculator can be helpful for checking your answer, it's important to solve the trig integral question by hand to fully understand the process. Plus, most calculus exams do not allow the use of calculators.

5. How can I check if my answer to a trig integral question is correct?

One way to check if your answer to a trig integral question is correct is by taking the derivative of your solution. If the derivative matches the original function, then your answer is likely correct. You can also use an online graphing calculator to graph the original function and your solution to see if they match.