General Relativity and the Human Body

In summary: Simply put, using rotating spaceships to simulate gravity is not a viable solution.In summary, the space ships used in SPH 4U1 (Ontario Grade 12 Physics) are designed to create a 9.8 m/s acceleration towards the center of the ship in order to stop the affects that the human body experiences when in prolonged periods of time in space. However, this method is not effective and would only maintain muscle and bone mass at a minimum. It is also not possible to build a rotating spaceship that approximates the space time curvature at Earth's surface.
Kindayr
In SPH 4U1, (Ontario Grade 12 Physics) we learn the attempts to stop the affects that the human body experiences when in prolonged periods of time in space; such as muscle decay, loss of bone density, etc.

So we learn of the attempts to use centripetal force and angular motion to cause a 9.8 m/s acceleration towards the center of the ideal circular space ship. This is easily dictated through the equation of a=v^2/r

I wonder, if explained though terms of General Relativity, that if gravity is truly the curving of space-time. If this is true, would that not mean that our bodies are not developed to experience a maintained 9.8 m/s pull towards the center of the earth, that we're actually build to exists in the curved space-time that Earth produces for us.

I propose that the circular space ships and use of centripetal force would not stop the decay of muscle or loss of bone density. That in fact, the human body needs curved space-time to function, not simply an outside force.

Obviously I can't prove this, but it has always been something that has made me wonder since we were proposed the idea of centripetal force in space earlier in the semester.

What if the dysfunctionality is actually our bodies straightening out?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are misinterpreting general relativity here. I suggest you read up on Einstein's elevator though experiment. Whether what you are experiencing is gravity pulling you in one direction or acceleration pulling you in the opposite direction are completely distinguishable. There is no way to tell which is which on a small enough scale. This concept is embodied in the equivalence principle, which is one of the most accurately tested concepts in all of physics.

Some reading:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/einstein/relativity
http://www.astronomynotes.com/relativity/s3.htm
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/print/21148

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize the equivilance principle, but what I'm wondering is if the constitution of the human body doesn't only recognize the force acting upon it, but we're built to function within specific curved space the Earth creates. Einstein's elevator simple force and the circular spaceships use of centripetal force don't shape space-time like gravity does as general relativity states.

Tidal effects are completely negligible at the scale of a human body on the surface of the earth. (about 600 micro Newtons for a 2 meter tall, 100 kilogram adult)

Last edited:
Kindayr said:
I realize the equivilance principle, but what I'm wondering is if the constitution of the human body doesn't only recognize the force acting upon it, but we're built to function within specific curved space the Earth creates. Einstein's elevator simple force and the circular spaceships use of centripetal force don't shape space-time like gravity does as general relativity states.
A body's resistance to acceleration would maintain muscle and bone mass, even if the acceleration is not identical to earth's. At a minimum, any proper acceleration at all would be better than freefall.

And it would be possible to build a spinning ship that would approximate the space time curvature at Earth's surface reasonable closely. At least better than holding a person's body down on a treadmill with bungee cords. It's not like we have a high standard to beat there.

Al

Kindayr said:

From what I remember (from many years ago), experiments and simulations have already been done to determine the sensitivity of the human sense of balance and orientation to the effects of using rotation to simulate gravity, and as expected it would be necessary for a circular rotating spaceship to be quite large (as in a Clarke space station) to provide a reasonably comfortable duplication of a 1g environment. There is also a problem that the rotating structure has to be fairly massive in order to avoid uncomfortable bouncing and wobbling when people and objects are moving around in it.

This is all calculated and simulated using Newtonian gravity theory; the corrections for General Relativity are far too small for humans to be able to sense them at all.

1. What is General Relativity and how does it relate to the human body?

General Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how gravity works in the universe. It states that massive objects, such as planets and stars, create a curvature in space-time that causes other objects to move towards them. This is relevant to the human body because our bodies are affected by the gravitational pull of the Earth, as well as the gravity of other objects in our solar system.

2. Can General Relativity help explain the aging process of the human body?

While General Relativity does not directly explain the aging process of the human body, it does play a role in how time passes for objects in different gravitational fields. This concept, known as gravitational time dilation, means that time passes slower for objects in stronger gravitational fields. Therefore, the aging process could be affected by the strength of gravity in a particular location.

3. Is there a connection between General Relativity and human perception?

While there is no direct connection between General Relativity and human perception, some aspects of the theory, such as the concept of space-time, have influenced philosophical discussions about the nature of reality and how we perceive it. Additionally, the theory has been used to explain phenomena such as gravitational lensing, which can affect how we see and perceive objects in space.

4. Can General Relativity be used to understand the effects of extreme forces on the human body?

Yes, General Relativity can be used to understand the effects of extreme forces on the human body. For example, the theory has been used to predict the effects of strong gravitational forces on astronauts in space and has also been applied to medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. How does General Relativity relate to the concept of time travel and its effects on the human body?

General Relativity allows for the possibility of time travel, as it allows for the manipulation of space-time through the use of strong gravitational forces. However, the effects of time travel on the human body are still largely unknown and are a subject of ongoing scientific research and speculation.