X-ray Powder Diffraction: Determine Structure of Crystal

In summary, X-ray powder diffraction can be used to determine the structure of a crystal by plotting sqr(sin(theta)) against ( sqr(h) +sqr(k) +sqr(l) ) for different Miller indices. The straight line obtained will determine the crystal structure. The Miller indices can be obtained by learning or looking up the structure factor.
bosti
Hello! X-ray powder diffraction can be used to determine the structure of crystal. I am given the diffraction angles (theta) for a sample and I am supposed to see if it has fcc, bcc or diamond structure. I read that if one plots sqr(sin(theta)) against ( sqr(h) +sqr(k) +sqr(l) ) where h, k, l are Miller indices one gets a straight line. So what I should do is plot for the series of Miller indices for fcc, bcc and diamond and see which gives a straight line. But I have no idea where to get the miller indices series from. Could you please help me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
bosti said:
Hello! X-ray powder diffraction can be used to determine the structure of crystal. I am given the diffraction angles (theta) for a sample and I am supposed to see if it has fcc, bcc or diamond structure. I read that if one plots sqr(sin(theta)) against ( sqr(h) +sqr(k) +sqr(l) ) where h, k, l are Miller indices one gets a straight line.
Correct. Do you understand why this is true, or what equation it is derived from?

So what I should do is plot for the series of Miller indices for fcc, bcc and diamond and see which gives a straight line. But I have no idea where to get the miller indices series from. Could you please help me? Thank you!
You must have learned about structure factor. If you have forgotten, look it up.

1. What is X-ray powder diffraction?

X-ray powder diffraction is a technique used to determine the crystal structure of a material by shining X-rays onto a powdered sample and measuring the resulting diffraction pattern.

2. How does X-ray powder diffraction determine crystal structure?

When X-rays are scattered off of the atoms in a crystal, they create a diffraction pattern that is unique to the crystal's structure. By analyzing this pattern, the crystal structure can be determined.

3. What types of materials can be analyzed using X-ray powder diffraction?

X-ray powder diffraction can be used to analyze a wide variety of materials, including minerals, metals, ceramics, and pharmaceuticals.

4. What are the advantages of using X-ray powder diffraction for crystal structure determination?

X-ray powder diffraction is a non-destructive technique that is relatively quick and easy to perform. It also provides detailed information about the crystal structure, including the spacing and arrangement of atoms.

5. Are there any limitations to X-ray powder diffraction for crystal structure determination?

X-ray powder diffraction can only determine the crystal structure of materials that form a powder. It also cannot distinguish between different types of atoms, so additional techniques may be needed for a complete understanding of the material's structure.