Emotionally intelligent, or just 'nice'?

• Thread starter the number 42
  • Start date
In summary: EQ is important because it includes self-awareness, self-control, persistence, zeal, and motivation. These qualities help people be successful in their lives.
In a report published Monday, the Lovenstein Institute of Scranton,

There was a spoof list of American presidents' IQ's a couple of years ago at
http://www.linkydinky.com/BushIQ.shtml

"147 Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)
132 Harry Truman (D)
122 Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)
174 John F. Kennedy (D)
126 Lyndon B. Johnson (D)
155 Richard M. Nixon (R)
121 Gerald Ford (R)
175 James E. Carter (D)
105 Ronald Reagan (R)
098 George HW Bush (R)
182 William J. Clinton (D)
091 George W. Bush (R)

Number 2, this is a fake study. Several people I know have researched this so-called "Lovenstein Institute" and determined it does not exist, nor has ever existed. But of course, you seem to allude to this fact anyway, but I find it curious why you posted the list.

Nixon's IQ is almost assuredly the highest on that list, yet they have Clinton at 182. Come on, 182? Excuse me if I view the list with a bit of incredulity when it proclaims Clinton has an IQ as rare as 1 in a billion. That means only 6 people are alive that are as smart as Clinton.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tasthius said:
Number 2, this is a fake study. ... you seem to allude to this fact anyway, but I find it curious why you posted the list.

Apologies, Tasthius, for not making myself clearer. In the UK "spoof" unambiguously means 'humourous send-up' or 'satirical'. It may well be that in other parts of the world it has different meanings.

And I can understand why you are curious as to my motives. I did a google for a list of presidents' IQs, and I could find nothing except for the bogus list. But thinking it might be a bit of fun, I posted it on PF. On the other hand I realize that there is always a danger that spurious facts can linger in the memory, and seem to gain legitimacy over time. And I should search my conscience over how much I didn't mind if this happened, seeing as it was directed against Bush.

Thanks for pointing this out. I doubt that I will post or quote any bogus info in future, or at least without making it very very clear that it is not to be taken literally.